Vegan Creamy Chipotle Sauce with garlic and lime! This simple sauce gives a nice, zesty kick to tacos, burritos, tostadas, quesadillas, baked potatoes, veggie burgers, and more.
This creamy chipotle sauce with garlic and lime gives a zesty kick to tacos, burritos, fajitas, quesadillas, baked potatoes, burgers, etc.
The smoky flavor of chipotle adds so much depth, and gives a nice hit of spice (but not too overly spicy)!
We especially enjoy it drizzled over these Vegan Black Bean Burrito Bowls.
Ingredients for Chipotle Sauce
For this recipe you will need:
- Vegan yogurt: Be sure to use plain and unsweetened yogurt. I mostly use coconut yogurt, but your favorite dairy free variety should work.
- Chipotle in adobo sauce: This usually comes in a small can.
- Adobo sauce: This provides a lot of great flavor, but with much less heat than the actual chipotle peppers.
- Fresh lime juice
- Ground cumin
The recipe uses one chipotle so if I don't plan on using the remaining chipotles anytime soon, I remove the seeds, dice them, and freeze them for later.
A little goes a long way, so add the chipotles according to your palette. For a less spicy option, you can add only the adobo sauce and omit the actual chipotle peppers.
For more inspiration, browse all sauce and seasoning.
Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- 1/2 cup vegan yogurt, plain & unsweetened (or 2/3 cup silken tofu)
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp. adobo sauce
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 1/2 lime)
- 1/8 tsp. ground cumin (more to taste)
- Salt to taste if desired
- Optional: agave or other sweetener if desired
- Scrape away the seeds from the chipotle with a knife. (Use caution when handling chipotle and wash your hands well when finished.)
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend/pulse until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings/consistency as necessary or add salt to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan creamy chipotle sauce, also feel free to check out: