Fun and colorful Mexican-inspired vegan Quinoa Stuffed Peppers! Seasoned quinoa, black beans, and sweet corn are stuffed into pretty pepper packages for a delicious, healthy meal. (Gluten-free & oil-free.)
These Mexican-style quinoa stuffed peppers are such a satisfying meal with plant-based protein and fiber.
We combine black beans, quinoa, fresh veggies, spices, and salsa for a flavorful filling.
Plus they are so quick and easy to prepare.
By the time it takes the quinoa to cook, everything is prepped and ready to go. Then just let the oven do the work.
Ingredients for Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
For this recipe you will need:
- Bell peppers: Be sure to find large ones with room for stuffing. (If you can't find large ones, then you may need more than 4.)
- Black beans: Or substitute another bean such as pinto beans or kidney beans.
- White quinoa: Quinoa is a great source of protein, fiber, and many other nutrients. It is also a complete protein which means it contains all nine essential amino acids. I like the taste and texture of white quinoa best in this recipe.
- Sweet corn: Either a freshly cooked ear of corn, canned corn, or frozen corn kernels.
- Green onion (scallion)
- Salsa: Use your favorite store-bought salsa or make your own Blender Salsa.
- Nutritional yeast: This gives the filling a savory "cheesy" flavor.
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
- Chili powder: I use mild chili powder from the brand Simply Organic.
This is a fun and forgiving recipe to play around with. A few suggestions for customizing include:
Diced tomatoes: Add a can of diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted tomatoes) to the cooked quinoa mixture for a juicier filling. We really enjoy this addition.
Rice substitution: Use cooked brown rice instead of quinoa for the filling.
Make it spicy: Add a kick with chipotle in adobo sauce, more chili powder, cayenne pepper, or jalapeno. Or simply top with your favorite hot sauce before serving.
Make it cheesy: The nutritional yeast provides some cheesy flavor, but you can also add your favorite vegan cheese shreds on top during the last 10 minutes of baking time.
Make it meaty: Stir in your favorite vegan ground beef crumbles to the mixture. (I recommend cooking them according to package instructions in a skillet first.)
Vegetables: Add other veggies to the bell pepper halves as you see fit. Fresh baby spinach, garlic cloves, zucchini, etc.
Add your favorite toppings before serving:
- More salsa
- Pico de Gallo (Salsa Fresca)
- Avocado slices or creamy guacamole
- Vegan cheese shreds or dairy-free cheese sauce
- Vegan sour cream
- Hot sauce to taste
- Fresh cilantro or green onions
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep well for about 4-5 days. Then simply reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 3/4 cup white quinoa (uncooked)
- 4 large bell peppers
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 cup cooked sweet corn (I use frozen, thawed)
- 2 green onions
- 2/3 cup salsa (I like homemade blender salsa)
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
Toppings of choice (optional):
- Guacamole, salsa, vegan cheese or sour cream, hot sauce, fresh cilantro, etc.
- Cook quinoa: Rinse quinoa well. In a small pot over medium-high heat, add quinoa with about 1 1/4 cups water. (Or vegetable broth for more flavor.) Bring to a light boil. Then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid has absorbed.
- Meanwhile, halve bell peppers and remove stems, seeds and ribs.
- Rinse and drain black beans, thaw corn, and slice green onions.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cooked quinoa and all other ingredients except bell peppers. Stir to combine, and adjust taste if necessary (salt, more seasonings, nutritional yeast).
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- In a 9"×13″ baking dish, place pepper halves, and generously stuff them with the quinoa filling. Lightly press down to compact and fill all the crevices.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 35-40 minutes. Remove foil, and bake 10 minutes more. (Or longer for softer peppers.)
- Serve with any desired toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these vegan Mexican quinoa stuffed peppers, also check out: