Easy vegan Mexican-style Sweet Potato Bowl with black beans and brown rice! Topped with a flavorful, creamy cilantro-lime cashew sauce. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This Mexican-inspired sweet potato rice bowl is such a satisfying meal.
It combines seasoned roasted sweet potatoes, fluffy brown rice, black beans, and veggies. Then it is topped with a simple and creamy cashew-lime sauce.
Plus it is filled with protein, fiber, and many other plant-based nutrients.
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Bowl
For this recipe you will need:
- Brown rice
- Sweet potatoes
- Black beans
- Green onion (scallion)
- Sweet corn: Canned, frozen, fire-roasted, or cooked fresh.
- Cherry or grape tomatoes
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
- Cilantro-Lime Cashew Cream (recipe below)
Play around with your favorite toppings however. I enjoy tomatoes, sweet corn, and fresh avocado.
Rice bowls can also be a great family-style meal as well.
Simply set everything out on the counter and then let everyone assemble their own bowl with the toppings they enjoy!
Mexican Sweet Potato Bowl with Cashew-Lime Cream
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 3-4 green onions
- 1 1/2 cups cooked sweet corn (canned, frozen, cooked fresh, etc.)
- 1 cup cherry/grape tomatoes (or roma, etc.)
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Olive oil for drizzling (optional*)
- Salt to taste
For the cilantro-lime cashew cream:
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked if needed**)
- 1/2 cup almond milk, plain & unsweetened (or water)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 Tbsp. lime juice (about 2 limes or more to taste)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes into about 3/4″ cubes. Place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil*, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt to taste. Toss to combine.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, make the cilantro-lime cream: place all cream ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Rinse and drain black beans, slice onion, and dice tomatoes and avocado.
- Assemble your bowls (or set out toppings to let others assemble theirs like a burrito bowl bar).
- Place rice on bottom, top with roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, and desired toppings. Drizzle sauce over top.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Mexican-inspired Black Bean Sweet Potato Bowl, also check out: