Easy vegan Mexican-style Sweet Potato Bowl with black beans and brown rice! Topped with a flavorful, creamy cilantro-lime cashew sauce. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This Mexican-inspired sweet potato rice bowl is such a satisfying meal.
It combines seasoned roasted sweet potatoes, fluffy brown rice, black beans, and veggies. Then it is topped with a simple and creamy cashew-lime sauce.
Plus it is filled with protein, fiber, and many other plant-based nutrients. Great for a hearty dinner or meal prep!
Ingredients for Mexican Sweet Potato Bowl
For this recipe you will need:
- Brown rice: I use organic brown long-grain basmati rice, but use your own favorite. Or use white rice, cauliflower rice, or this tasty Cilantro Lime Rice.
- Sweet potatoes: We will dice these into medium chunks, then roast in the oven until fork tender.
- Black beans: Or you can substitute pinto beans or even vegan ground beef crumbles if desired.
- Green onion (scallion)
- Sweet corn: Either canned corn, frozen, fire-roasted, or cooked fresh.
- Cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes: I like these because they are the most flavorful and sweet, but you can use roma tomatoes or other garden tomatoes if desired.
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
- Cilantro-Lime Cashew Cream: Find the full recipe below in the recipe card. You will need raw cashews, dairy-free milk, fresh cilantro, lime juice, and salt.
Sauce: Instead of the homemade cashew cream, use your own favorite southwestern-style creamy dressing, chipotle sauce, or simply top it with guacamole and salsa!
Spices and seasoning: We flavor the roasted sweet potatoes with cumin and smoked paprika. However change it up with a Taco Seasoning mixture, chili powder, dried oregano, garlic powder, or your own favorite flavors.
Veggies: Stir in other vegetables to this bowl like red bell pepper, red onion, zucchini, yellow summer squash, etc.
Make it spicy: Roast your sweet potatoes with dry chipotle powder, cayenne pepper, or simply top your bowl with hot sauce to taste.
Feel free to garnish with any extra toppings before serving. A few ideas include:
- Salsa or hot sauce
- Fresh cilantro
- Crumbled tortilla chips
- Lime wedges
Family-style meal: Rice bowls can be a great family-style dinner. Simply set out all the prepared ingredients on the counter, then let everyone assemble their own bowl with the toppings they enjoy.
Mexican Sweet Potato Bowl with Cashew-Lime Cream
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 3-4 green onions
- 1 1/2 cups cooked sweet corn (canned, frozen, cooked fresh, etc.)
- 1 cup cherry/grape tomatoes (or roma, etc.)
- 1 avocado
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Olive oil for drizzling (optional*)
- Salt to taste
For the cilantro-lime cashew cream:
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked if needed**)
- 1/2 cup almond milk, plain & unsweetened (or water)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 Tbsp. lime juice (about 2 limes or more to taste)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Rinse and cook rice according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes into about 3/4″ cubes. Place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil,* cumin, smoked paprika, and salt to taste. Toss to combine.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, make the cilantro-lime cream: Place all cream ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Rinse and drain black beans, slice onion, and dice tomatoes and avocado.
- Assemble your bowls (or set out toppings to let others assemble theirs like a burrito bowl bar).
- Place rice on bottom, top with roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, and desired toppings. Drizzle sauce over top.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Mexican-inspired Black Bean Sweet Potato Bowl recipe, also check out:
- Mexican Fiesta Baked Potatoes
- Black Bean Tacos with Avocado Cilantro Sauce
- Vegan Burrito Bowls with Creamy Chipotle Sauce