Mexican-style stuffed baked potato topped with fiesta black bean & corn mixture! Super easy to assemble and great for busy weeknights. (Vegan, gluten free, oil-free.)
Warm, fluffy baked potatoes are combined with flavorful Mexican-style toppings in this deliciously satisfying meal. It's great for busy weeknights because it comes together nice and easy.
While the potatoes are baking, simply make the taco seasoning and prepare the black bean mixture on the stove. Feel free to add any additional toppings before serving such as guacamole, your favorite vegan cheese sauce, etc..
Ingredients for Mexican Baked Potato
For this recipe you will need:
- Potatoes (I use russet)
- Black beans (or you can substitute pinto beans)
- Diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- Salsa (I like homemade Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa)
- Sweet corn (cooked fresh, canned, frozen, fire-roasted, etc.)
- Taco seasoning
It's a great family-friendly meal since everyone can personalize theirs with their own favorite toppings. We love this warm, comforting dinner - especially in winter.
Mexican Fiesta Baked Potato
- 4 medium/large potatoes (I use organic russet)
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic (or 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I use petite diced)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 1/2 cups sweet corn, cooked (can use frozen)
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning*
- Fresh cilantro, green onions, nutritional yeast, vegan shredded cheese or cheese sauce, vegan sour cream, guacamole, avocado, hot sauce, etc.
- Bake potatoes: preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Scrub potatoes, then pat dry. Using a fork, carefully poke holes around the potato to let moisture escape during baking. Carefully set potatoes directly on oven rack. Bake potatoes for about 50-60 minutes (or until tender when pierced with a fork).
- Meanwhile, dice onion.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/vegetable broth for no-oil saute method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and make taco seasoning*.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic and 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning. Stir and saute 1 minute (adding a touch more liquid if necessary).
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Add black beans (rinsed and drained), tomatoes with juice, corn, and salsa. Lightly simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Then salt to taste if desired.)
- When potatoes are done, cut them lengthwise, but not all the way through. Gently squeeze and fluff with a fork.
- Spoon the black bean mixture over the top. Add any desired toppings before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Mexican Baked Potato, also browse all Mexican-Inspired Recipes, or check out:
- Black Bean & Corn Salsa
- Portobello Mushroom Fajitas (30 Minute)
- Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas
- Fiesta Three Bean Chili