A vegan Black Bean Tacos recipe with flavorful creamy avocado cilantro-lime sauce. Only 15 minutes and filled with healthy plant-based protein and fiber. So satisfying and great for lunch or dinner!
These easy black bean tacos are a quick and easy lunch or weeknight dinner.
The flavorful black bean mixture is made in just 5 minutes with black beans, salsa, and warm spices.
Simple yet so satisfying! Plus it is a great source of plant-based protein and fiber. (Each small taco has about 9 grams protein.)
Ingredients For Taco Base
For the black bean taco meat you will need:
- Black beans
- Salsa: I like this easy homemade Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa, but use your own favorite.
- Ground cumin: I also like to add a little smoked paprika in addition to this.
- Chili powder: I use mild. Or you can omit the cumin and chili powder and use Taco Seasoning instead.
- Corn tortillas: Or flour tortillas, or other tortilla of choice. Corn tortillas are a great gluten-free tortilla option.
- Toppings of choice (see ideas below)
Ingredients for Sauce
For the creamy avocado cilantro-lime sauce you will need:
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice: You will need about 1 lime for this recipe.
- Garlic clove
- Olive oil: Or simply substitute water for an oil-free version.
- Agave: Or other sweetener of choice.
Make it spicy: Add cayenne pepper, chipotle in adobo sauce, jalapeno, a spicy chili powder, or simply top with your favorite hot sauce to taste before serving.
Onion + garlic: You can also sauté diced onion and garlic in the skillet before adding the black beans for more flavor.
Toppings of choice: Romaine lettuce, tomato, onion or green onion, vegan cheese, vegan sour cream, avocado or guacamole, etc.
Rice bowls: You can also serve this dish as a rice bowl or taco salad. Simply use cooked brown rice instead of the tortillas. Then top it with the black bean mixture and all your favorite toppings. (This works well for meal prep!)
Black Bean Tacos with Avocado Cilantro-Lime Sauce
- 30 oz. canned black beans (two 15 oz. cans)
- 1 cup salsa (I use homemade blender salsa)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder* (I use mild)
- 8 small corn tortillas
Toppings of choice:
- Lettuce, tomato, onion, corn, avocado, cilantro, vegan cheese, etc.
For the creamy avocado sauce:
- 1/2 large ripe avocado (or 1 small)
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro (large stems removed)
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (or water for oil-free)
- 1 tsp. agave (or other sweetener)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Make the avocado sauce: In a food processor or blender, add all sauce ingredients and blend. Add a touch of water to thin if necessary, and adjust seasonings as desired. Set aside, or refrigerate if making ahead of time.
- In a pan over medium heat, add black beans (rinsed and drained), salsa, cumin, and chili powder. Heat for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally, until heated through. (Optional: slightly mash beans after heating for a creamier filling.)
- While the beans are heating, chop and prepare your toppings. Warm the tortillas if desired.
- Assemble the tacos: Spoon the black bean mixture in the center of the tortillas, spoon a small amount of avocado sauce over the top, and add your toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan black bean tacos recipe, also check out: