Healthy and satisfying vegan Black Bean Lentil Tacos filled with fiber, protein, and Mexican-inspired flavors. They are easy to make, then just add your favorite toppings! (Gluten-free, oil-free.)
These high-protein lentil and bean tacos are a wonderfully satisfying meal.
Plus they are easy to assemble!
The hearty black beans and lentils are combined together, then infused with flavorful Mexican-inspired spices and salsa.
Change up the spices however you prefer. I also enjoy the addition of chipotle powder for some smoky spiciness.
Ingredients for Bean + Lentil Tacos
For this recipe you will need:
- Green lentils or brown lentils: These have a nice, earthy flavor and hold their shape well after cooking.
- Black beans: Or you could substitute pinto beans if desired.
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Ground cumin: You can also add lentil smoked paprika for warm, smoky flavor.
- Chili powder: I use mild.
- Salsa: I like homemade blender salsa, but use your own favorite.
- Vegetable broth
- Tortillas & toppings of choice: I use corn tortillas and romaine lettuce, chopped tomato, guacamole, etc.
Make it spicy: Add cayenne pepper, chipotle in adobo sauce, jalapeno, or simply top with hot sauce to taste.
Spices + seasonings: Change up the spices as you see fit. You could also use a tablespoon of this homemade Taco Seasoning in place of the cumin and chili powder.
Add your favorite toppings before serving such as:
- Romaine lettuce
- Chopped tomato
- Vegan cheese shreds or dairy-free cheese sauce
- Guacamole or avocado
- Diced onion
- Fresh cilantro
The lentil + bean mixture is great in taco bowls or rice bowls as well.
We also use it on nachos!
Black Bean Lentil Tacos
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (or about 2 1/2 cups cooked)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/3 cup salsa (I like homemade blender salsa)
- 2/3 cup vegetable broth (more if needed)
- Tortillas (I used corn)
- Salt to taste
Toppings of choice:
- Tomato, lettuce, corn, vegan cheese, salsa, guacamole, cilantro, etc.
- Cook lentils according to package directions and drain. (I simmer mine in a pot of water for 18-20 minutes or until tender, not mushy.)
- Meanwhile, dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion for about 7-8 minutes.
- Once onion is translucent, add garlic, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Add cooked lentils (drained) and black beans (rinsed and drained). Mash mixture and stir to combine.
- Add salsa and vegetable broth. Stir and heat for about 5 minutes. Add more vegetable broth as necessary to keep it a creamy, moist consistency. Taste and add more salt or seasoning if desired.
- Spoon mixture into a tortilla with toppings of choice.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these vegan black bean lentil tacos, also feel free to check out: