Healthy, satisfying Black Bean Lentil Tacos filled with fiber, protein, and Mexican-inspired flavors. They are easy to make, then just add your favorite toppings! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
These lentil and bean tacos combine two plant-based proteins for a super satisfying meal.
Plus they are easy to assemble!
The black beans and lentils are combined together, then infused with flavorful Mexican-inspired spices and salsa.
Change up the spices however you prefer. I enjoy the addition of chipotle powder for some smoky spiciness.
Ingredients for Bean + Lentil Tacos
For this recipe you will need:
- Green/brown lentils
- Black beans
- Ground cumin
- Chili powder: I use mild.
- Salsa: I like homemade blender salsa.
- Vegetable broth
- Tortillas & toppings of choice
The leftovers are great in taco bowls as well. Simply mix together the filling, toppings, and pieces of corn tortillas.
We have also used this mixture on nachos!
Black Bean Lentil Tacos
- 1 cup green/brown lentils (or about 2 1/2 cups cooked)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/3 cup salsa (I like homemade blender salsa)
- 2/3 cup vegetable broth (more if needed)
- Tortillas (I used corn)
- Salt to taste
Toppings of choice:
- Tomato, lettuce, corn, vegan cheese, salsa, guacamole, cilantro, etc.
- Cook lentils according to package directions and drain. (I simmer mine in a pot of water for 18-20 minutes or until tender, not mushy.)
- Meanwhile, dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion for about 7-8 minutes.
- Once onion is translucent, add garlic, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Add cooked lentils (drained) and black beans (rinsed and drained). Mash mixture and stir to combine.
- Add salsa and vegetable broth. Stir and heat for about 5 minutes. Add more vegetable broth as necessary to keep it a creamy, moist consistency. Taste and add more salt or seasoning if desired.
- Spoon mixture into a tortilla with toppings of choice.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these black bean lentil tacos, also feel free to check out: