A healthy and satisfying vegan Black Bean Lentil Tacos recipe! Filled with fiber, protein, and delicious Mexican-inspired flavors. Plus they are easy to make, then just add your favorite toppings! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
These high-protein lentil and bean tacos are such a satisfying meal.
Plus they are easy to assemble!
The hearty black beans and lentils are combined together, then infused with flavorful Mexican-inspired spices and salsa.
Change up the spices however you prefer! I also enjoy the addition of chipotle powder for some smoky spiciness.
Ingredients for Bean and Lentil Tacos
For this recipe you will need:
- Green lentils or brown lentils: These have a nice, earthy flavor and hold their shape well after cooking. If you'd prefer not to cook your own from scratch, simply use two 15-ounce cans lentils instead. (Red lentils will not work for this recipe.)
- Black beans: Or you could substitute pinto beans if desired.
- Yellow onion: Or use white onion or sweet onion instead.
- Fresh garlic cloves
- Taco seasoning: I use my homemade Taco Seasoning mix, but use your own favorite. It's a warm blend of spices like ground cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Salsa: I like this Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa or Fresh Garden Salsa but use your own favorite.
- Vegetable broth: Be sure to use low sodium if desired.
- Tortillas & toppings of choice: I use corn tortillas and romaine lettuce, chopped tomato, guacamole, etc.
Make it spicy: Add cayenne pepper, chipotle in adobo sauce, jalapeno, or simply top with hot sauce to taste.
Spices + seasonings: Change up the spices as you see fit. Instead of the taco seasoning, you can use your own spice blend or simply ground cumin and chili powder.
Add your favorite toppings before serving. A few ideas include:
- Romaine lettuce
- Chopped tomato or more salsa
- Vegan cheese shreds or dairy-free cheese sauce
- Guacamole or avocado
- Diced onion
- Fresh cilantro
Other uses: The lentil and bean mixture is great in taco bowls or rice bowls as well. We also use it on nachos!
Black Bean Lentil Tacos
Toppings of choice:
- Tomato, lettuce, corn, vegan cheese, salsa, guacamole, cilantro, etc.
- Cook lentils according to package directions and drain. (I simmer mine in a pot of water for 18-20 minutes or until tender, not mushy.)
- Meanwhile, dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion for about 7-8 minutes.
- Once onion is translucent, add garlic and taco seasoning. Stir and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Add cooked lentils (drained) and black beans (rinsed and drained). Mash mixture and stir to combine.
- Add salsa and vegetable broth. Stir and heat for about 5 minutes. Add more vegetable broth as necessary to keep it a creamy, moist consistency. Taste and add more salt or seasoning if desired.
- Spoon mixture into a tortilla with toppings of choice.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying these vegan black bean lentil tacos, also feel free to check out: