Easy vegan Black Eyed Pea Salad with crisp, fresh veggies and a tangy garlic-vinegar dressing. Great made ahead of time to enjoy as a side dish, salad, or chip dip! (Gluten-free & oil-free.)
This simple Black Eyed Pea Salad is made with crisp vegetables and an easy garlic-vinegar dressing.
It is fresh, tangy, and oil-free.
Plus it is incredibly versatile, and includes plant-based protein and fiber.
Serve it as a side dish, salad, or grab your favorite chips and enjoy it as a dip. (It is great served next to fresh guacamole!)
Ingredients for Black-Eyed Pea Salad
For this bean salad recipe you will need:
- Black-eyed peas
- Bell pepper: Any color will work. I use red bell pepper, orange bell pepper, or yellow bell pepper.
- Red onion: Or you can substitute green onions for a milder onion taste.
- Grape or cherry tomatoes: I use these because they are so sweet and flavorful, but feel free to substitute roma tomatoes or other garden tomatoes.
- Fresh parsley or fresh cilantro
- Rice vinegar: I use unseasoned vinegar which does not include added sugar.
- Garlic clove
- Agave: Or other sweetener of choice.
The dressing is oil-free, however feel free to toss in a teaspoon to a tablespoon of olive oil if desired.
Make it spicy: Add jalapeño or a pinch of cayenne pepper to taste.
Veggies: Change it up with the veggies you enjoy. You can also add cooked sweet corn or roasted red pepper in place of fresh bell pepper.
Herbs: Stir in your favorite fresh herbs and flavors. Cilantro, parsley, dill, etc.
It's a great dish to make ahead for picnics, meal prep, potlucks, or take-along lunches. Traditionally, it's also said to bring good luck on New Year's Day.
You can enjoy it immediately, but it tastes best after it chills and marinates in the fridge for a few hours.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find it's best when eaten within 3-4 days.
Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- 15 oz. can black-eyed peas
- 1 bell pepper (orange, yellow, or red)
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 4 oz. grape/cherry tomatoes (or 2 roma tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or cilantro
For the garlic-vinegar dressing:
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar*
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. agave (or other sweetener)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Make the dressing: Add all dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Rinse and drain black-eyed peas. Add to a medium bowl.
- Finely dice bell pepper, red onion, and tomatoes. Roughly chop fresh herbs, large stems removed. Add to bowl.
- Pour dressing over top and stir well to combine.
- Can eat immediately, but best chilled for at least an hour (or up to 24 hours) first. Re-stir before serving as some dressing will settle at bottom. Enjoy it as a salad or chip dip.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan black eyed peas recipe, also check out: