Satisfying and comforting Wild Rice Vegetable Soup! A great winter warmer with colorful vegetables and earthy, nutty wild rice. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
Wild rice often makes an appearance in heavier creamy soups, but it makes a fantastic addition to lightened up vegetable soups as well.
The hearty texture and earthy, nutty taste is a wonderful way to change up your soup game.
Plus the wild rice makes it feel so comforting and pleasantly filling, thanks to a nice boost of protein and fiber. (One cup of uncooked wild rice has 24 grams of protein!)
Wild rice does take a little longer to cook, about 45-50 minutes, so if you're short on time feel free to cook the rice beforehand and decrease the overall cook time. (I've done this many times with leftover wild rice and it works great.)
As always, soup is a versatile recipe so change it up with your own favorite herbs and vegetables: zucchini, bell pepper, cabbage, peas, corn, potatoes, etc.
For more inspiration, browse all vegan soup recipes.
Wild Rice Vegetable Soup
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 medium carrots
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth (or 4 cups broth +2 cups water)
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 2 cups cut green beans (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups kale or spinach
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil (or oregano, smoked paprika, etc.)
- Dice onion.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, dice carrot. Slice mushrooms. Mince garlic.
- Add carrots, mushrooms, garlic, and dried dried herbs to pot. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add broth, diced tomatoes, green beans*, and wild rice (rinsed and drained). Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for 45-50 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Roughly chop kale (or spinach) and stir in during the last few minutes. Salt/pepper to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
For more soup and chili inspiration, check out:
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Chickpea Noodle Soup
- Everyday Split Pea Soup
- Lentil Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Garden Harvest Vegetable Soup