A satisfying and comforting vegan Wild Rice Vegetable Soup recipe! Easy to make and so nourishing with colorful vegetables and earthy, nutty wild rice. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
Wild rice often makes an appearance in heavier creamy soups, but it makes a great addition to lightened up vegetable soups as well!
The hearty texture and earthy, nutty taste is a wonderful way to change up your soup game.
Wild rice has fiber, antioxidants, and much more protein than regular rice. (Just one cup of uncooked wild rice has about 24 grams of protein!)
Ingredients for Wild Rice Soup
For this recipe, you will simmer in a large pot:
- Yellow onion: Or you can use white onion or sweet onion instead.
- Fresh garlic cloves: Or substitute dried garlic powder.
- Mushrooms: Use your own favorite or a combination. Cremini mushrooms, white button, shiitake mushrooms, portobello mushrooms, etc.
- Diced tomatoes: You can either use regular or fire-roasted canned tomatoes.
- Vegetable broth: Be sure to use low sodium if needed.
- Wild rice: You can either use all wild rice, or some stores carry a packaged blend of wild rice plus other rice varieties included. I use all wild rice for this recipe.
- Green beans: Either fresh, frozen cut green beans, or canned green beans.
- Kale or spinach
- Dried basil: Or use your own favorite herbs like oregano, parsley, Italian seasonings, etc.
Cooking Wild Rice
Cook time: Wild rice does take a little longer to cook, about 45-50 minutes.
Making ahead: Feel free to cook the rice beforehand in a separate pot. Then decrease the overall cook time of the soup, and stir in the wild rice towards the end of cook time. (I've also made this soup many times with leftover wild rice and that works great too!)
Veggies: Soup is a versatile recipe so change it up with your own favorite herbs and vegetables! Zucchini, red bell pepper, celery, cabbage, peas, sweet corn, or potatoes would be great additions.
Make it creamy: For a creamier broth, add a can of unsweetened coconut milk or cashew cream. My favorite cashew cream recipe for soup combines 1 cup raw cashews (soaked), 1 cup water, 1 Tbsp. tamari, and 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar. Blend it up in a small high-speed blender, then stir into the soup towards the end of cooking time.
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan soup recipes.
Wild Rice Vegetable Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 medium carrots
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 6 cups vegetable broth (or 4 cups broth +2 cups water)
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 2 cups cut green beans (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups kale or spinach
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil (or oregano, smoked paprika, etc.)
- Dice onion.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, dice carrot. Slice mushrooms. Mince garlic.
- Add carrots, mushrooms, garlic, and dried herbs to pot. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add broth, diced tomatoes, green beans*, and wild rice (rinsed and drained). Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to simmer, and cook for 45-50 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Roughly chop kale (or spinach) and stir in during the last few minutes. Salt/pepper to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan wild rice soup recipe, also check out:
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- Chickpea Noodle Soup
- Split Pea Vegetable Soup
- Lentil Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Garden Vegetable Soup