Simple yet satisfying Everyday Vegan Split Pea Soup. This cozy meal is a fantastic source of plant-based nutrients and protein at a budget-friendly cost!
If you are looking for a satisfying dish that maximizes nutrients at a budget-friendly cost, this is your meal.
The humble split pea is an ingredient that often flies under the radar, but they are such inexpensive, nutrient-packed powerhouses.
Just one cup of uncooked split peas has about 48 grams of protein. Plus it is a good source of fiber, potassium, iron, magnesium, etc.
For us, it only cost $0.34 from the bulk bins at our local food co-op which makes for a pretty awesome budget-buy.
Ingredients for Split Pea Soup
For this recipe you will need:
- Split peas: Either yellow or green split peas will work for this recipe.
- Yellow onion
- Diced tomatoes: Regular or fire-roasted canned tomatoes.
- Vegetable broth
- Dried basil: Or use whatever seasonings you enjoy.
- Fresh baby spinach
For more inspiration, also browse all pea recipes.
Everyday Split Pea Soup
- 1 cup split peas (yellow or green, uncooked)
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots
- 2-3 stalks celery
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (plus 1 cup water)
- 3/4 tsp. dried basil
- 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Dice onion.
- In a large stockpot over med-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use about 3 Tbsp. broth/water for no-oil sauté.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic, and dice carrots and celery.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic, carrots, celery, and basil. Stir and sauté 1-2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes (with juice), vegetable broth, and 1 cup water (or more broth).
- Rinse split peas very well and add to pot. Stir.
- Bring to a light boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45-50 minutes or until split peas are tender. (They should still have a slight bite - not mushy.)
- Stir in spinach (roughly chopped if desired) during last minute of cooking. Be sure to salt/pepper to taste before serving to help enhance the flavors.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Vegan Split Pea Soup, also check out: