A healthy, vegan kale "superfood" power salad with immune-supporting ingredients! Filled with plant-based nourishment to help keep you satisfied yet energized. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This healthy kale "superfood" salad is so fresh and delicious!
Let's quickly mention the health benefits of kale in particular. Kale (and other cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and cabbage) are an excellent source of many vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Kale is also rich in particular antioxidants called lutein and zeaxanthin. These are carotenoids that help protect the lens of the eye and promote eye health.
So we'll start with a base of nourishing kale, then add several other nutrient-dense foods to help support our immune system and full-body health!
Ingredients for Kale Superfood Salad
For this recipe you will toss together in a large bowl:
- Kale: Use whatever variety of fresh kale you prefer. Either lacinato kale or curly kale leaves will work. Kale is a great source of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, manganese, and calcium.
- Garbanzo beans (chickpeas): Or other bean of choice such as cannellini beans, black beans, kidney beans, etc. These add lots of plant-based protein and fiber to the salad.
- Cooked beets: For convenience, I use pre-cooked packaged organic beets from the brand "Love Beets". However feel free to roast or cook your own if desired.
- Red onion: Or substitute green onion for a milder onion taste.
- White quinoa: Oftentimes I cook this ahead of time so it's ready to go. For more flavor, you can use vegetable broth instead of water to cook quinoa.
- Sunflower seeds: Or stir in pumpkin seeds, hemp hearts, etc.
- Balsamic vinegar: I like the flavor of balsamic in this salad, but you can also use red wine vinegar if you'd like.
- Dijon mustard
- Fresh garlic cloves
Leafy greens: You can also use a base of kale + spinach or other salad greens for more variety.
Dressing: My quick and easy balsamic dressing is included below. (It is made oil-free with no olive oil.) But change it up with your own favorite if you wish!
Avocado: This is also great topped with fresh diced avocado right before serving.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We enjoy them within 2-3 days.
Storing separately: You can also store the dressing and salad separately. Then simply toss together when ready to serve. This helps keep it fresh and crisp. Otherwise, the kale holds up pretty well. I like mixing it ahead of time because the dressing marinates the veggies and makes it extra-flavorful.
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan salad recipes or gluten-free recipes.
Kale Superfood Power Salad
- 1 large bunch kale (curly or lacinato)
- 1 medium carrot
- 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
- 1 cup cooked beets (I use Love Beets organic cooked beets)
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/2 cup quinoa (or about 1 cup cooked)
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- Other additions: avocado, pumpkin seeds, hemp hearts
For the balsamic dressing:
- 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- Salt to taste
- Rinse and cook quinoa: In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup quinoa with 3/4 cup water (or vegetable broth for more flavor). Bring to a light boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid has absorbed.
- Make dressing: Add all dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Tear kale into bite-sized pieces. Place in a large bowl and gently massage.
- Thinly slice red onion, dice beets, and grate carrot. Place in bowl with kale.
- Rinse and drain beans. Add beans and cooked quinoa to bowl.
- Pour dressing over top and toss gently to thoroughly combine.
- Top with sunflower seeds (and/or hemp hearts, pumpkin seeds, avocado, etc.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan Kale Superfood Power Salad recipe, also feel free to check out:
- Asian Style Chopped Salad
- BBQ Chickpea Chopped Salad
- Super Immunity Power Salad with Chia Seed Dressing
Follow The Garden Grazer on Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook for more updates and inspiration.
Made this for our packed lunches for the week. Absolutely delicious and so healthy! Great recipe!
Wonderful to hear, Anne!