A fresh and flavorful Kale Slaw recipe that's healthy, nourishing, and so delicious! Classic coleslaw gets an upgrade with this cruciferous blend of both cabbage and kale. Then it's tossed in a rich & creamy dressing! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
Upgrade your coleslaw with this double-cruciferous blend that features both kale AND cabbage! It's antioxidant-rich and the perfect combination of fresh, flavorful, nourishing, and delicious.
The crunchy slaw base is coated in a rich & creamy homemade coleslaw dressing. Best of all, it's simple to prepare with whole food, plant-based ingredients. (And no oil!)
Coleslaw is a classic side dish for picnics, potlucks, BBQs, holidays, meal prep, or simply enjoyment at home. And this "kale slaw" variation is my favorite yet! I truly hope you enjoy it as well.
Ingredients for Kale Slaw
For this recipe you'll toss together in a large bowl:
- Lacinato kale: This is also called dinosaur kale. We'll use one medium bunch, which is about 2 cups finely shredded kale leaves, large stems removed.
- Fresh cabbage: Use green cabbage, red cabbage, or a mix of both. You'll need about 4 cups (or 8 ounces) lightly packed shredded cabbage for this recipe. You can either use fresh whole cabbage and shred it yourself, or find pre-shredded coleslaw mix bags for convenience and quicker prep time.
- Carrot: We'll use one medium carrot which adds a delightful sweetness (and extra color & nutrients!)
- Green onions (scallions): I like the mild taste of green onions in this dish. But finely sliced red onion can be used for a stronger onion flavor if desired.
- Fresh parsley or cilantro: Fresh herbs add even more bright, vibrant flavor to the slaw. Stir in even more if you'd prefer.
- Coleslaw dressing: I use my homemade oil-free Vegan Coleslaw Dressing for this recipe. It's so creamy, rich, and flavorful, plus easy to make! We whisk together simple ingredients like a homemade cashew mayo, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and celery seed.
Add nuts: Expand your slaw with sliced almonds, slivered almonds, cashews, or peanuts.
Add seeds & dried fruit: You can also sprinkle in sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, dried cranberries, or anything else that sounds good. (Salt and black pepper can also be added to taste.)
Coleslaw mix: Instead of cabbage, you could also use broccoli slaw (which is shredded raw broccoli stems). Thinly sliced apples could also be added if you enjoy the flavor.
Pair this fresh & delicious slaw with other summertime barbecue-style favorites:
- Vegan Macaroni Salad
- Black Bean Walnut Burger
- Vegan Italian Pasta Salad
- Three Bean Salad
- Ultimate Greek Chopped Salad
- Southwest Black Bean Burger
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I find it keeps for about 3-4 days.
Making ahead: You can serve this dish right after preparing, or let it chill in the fridge for up to a day ahead of time. This also allows the flavors to enhance and the texture to soften.
Kale Slaw with Creamy Dressing (Vegan!)
- 2 cups lacinato kale (one medium bunch)
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded*
- 1 medium carrot
- 2-3 green onions
- 3 Tbsp. fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1 batch Vegan Coleslaw Dressing
- Finely shred kale (large stems removed). Shred cabbage and grate carrot. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Slice green onions and finely chop fresh herbs. Add to bowl.
- Pour coleslaw dressing over top and toss well with tongs to combine.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan kale slaw with creamy dressing, also check out: