This easy Vegan Italian-style Pasta Salad combines curly pasta, crunchy vegetables, and fresh herbs... all tossed in a zesty oil-free Italian-inspired dressing. Great make-ahead dish for lunches, picnics, potlucks, etc.
This easy vegan Italian-style Pasta Salad is a tasty, satisfying dish on a warm summer day. Tender curly pasta is combined with crunchy vegetables and fresh herbs. Then it's tossed in a flavorful, zesty, oil-free Italian-inspired dressing.
Plus it only takes 30 minutes to prepare. It's a great light lunch, or also works well as a side dish for gatherings, BBQs, potlucks, etc.
Ingredients for Vegan Pasta Salad
For this recipe you will need:
- Fusilli pasta (I use a gluten-free "brown rice & quinoa" blend)
- Grape or cherry tomatoes
- Red onion
- Olives (I use Kalamata)
- Fresh parsley
- Red wine vinegar
- Fresh lemon juice
- Nutritional yeast
- Dijon mustard
- Italian seasoning
Serving and Storing
I've found there's a bit of a "sweet spot" in the serving time: we enjoy it best a few hours after chilling but within a day. Otherwise our gluten-free pasta starts to dry out as the dressing absorbs. However, you could store the dressing and salad separately in the fridge and toss together as needed.
Check out the optional additions below for flavor variations. It's a fun recipe to customize! (We love adding Miyoko's mozzarella or vegan nut parmesan.)
Vegan Italian Pasta Salad
- 8 oz. fusilli pasta (gluten-free if desired)
- 8 oz. grape/cherry tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1/3 cup red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1/3 cup olives (I use kalamata)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (more as desired)
- Artichoke hearts, green bell pepper, roasted red pepper, capers, pepperoncini, sun-dried tomato, vegan nut parmesan, vegan mozzarella cubes (I love Miyoko's)
For the Oil-Free Italian Dressing:
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon, or less)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, leaving al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water when finished.
- Meanwhile, prepare veggies: dice cucumber, quarter/halve tomatoes, and thinly slice red onion. Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Slice olives and roughly chop parsley (large stems removed). Place in bowl.
- Make the dressing: in a separate small bowl, add all dressing ingredients and whisk well to combine. (Or place ingredients in a jar with tightly sealed lid and shake well to combine/emulsify.)
- Add cooked pasta to bowl. Pour dressing over the top and toss well to combine.
- Can serve immediately, but best served chilled after 1-2 hours. (Be sure to gently stir again before serving as some dressing may settle at the bottom.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying this oil-free vegan pasta salad, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review and star rating below if you give it a try - your feedback is always very appreciated.)