This tasty summer salad is tossed in a creamy herb dressing! So fresh and also easy to customize with your own favorite vegetable combinations. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This nutrient-packed vegan summer salad combines bright colors and fresh garden flavors.
It is an adaption of the Southwestern Chopped Salad with Cilantro-Lime Dressing that we simply adore.
Ingredients for Summer Salad
For the salad portion you will need:
- Romaine: Or other mixed greens of choice.
- Cucumber: I use English/hothouse because they are more flavorful. But seedless garden cucumbers work too.
- Orange bell pepper
- Grape tomatoes: Or substitute cherry, roma, garden tomatoes, etc.
- Red onion: Substitute green onion for milder flavor.
- Sweet corn: Cooked fresh, canned, fire-roasted, etc.
However this recipe is highly customizable. Modify it based on your own favorites or what is available in your area.
Seeds, beans, and sprouts are also lovely additions.
Creamy Garden Herb Dressing
The star of the show is the creamy herb dressing. It is oil-free, slightly tangy, and so fresh and flavorful.
For the dressing recipe, you will need:
- Fresh parsley
- Fresh basil
- Lemon juice: About 1 lemon.
- White wine vinegar
- Agave: Or other sweetener of choice.
For more inspiration, also browse all gluten-free recipes.
Summer Chopped Salad with Creamy Herb Dressing
- 1 large head romaine (or other mixed greens of choice)
- 1 cucumber (I use English/hothouse)
- 1 orange bell pepper (or carrot)
- 6 oz. grape tomatoes
- 1/3 cup red onion (or green onion for milder flavor)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked sweet corn
- Optional additions: garbanzo beans, sugar snap peas, sprouts, purple cabbage, sunflower seeds, etc.
For the Creamy Garden Herb Dressing:
- 1 small avocado (or 1/2 large)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley (thick stems removed)
- 1/3 cup fresh basil (stems removed)
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon, or more to taste)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. agave (or other sweetener)
- 1/8 tsp. salt (more to taste)
- 3 Tbsp. water to thin (more as needed to desired consistency)
MAKE THE DRESSING:
- Puree all dressing ingredients in a small food processor or blender until smooth (scraping down sides with spatula as needed.)
- Add more water if needed, a little at a time, until it reaches your desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. (More salt, lemon juice, sweetener, etc.)
PREPARE THE SALAD:
- Roughly chop romaine and place in a large bowl.
- Dice cucumber and bell pepper. Halve/quarter tomatoes. Finely dice red onion. Add to bowl.
- Add corn to bowl. Then pour desired amount of dressing over top and toss well to combine. (Alternatively, you can store salad and dressing in separate containers in the fridge until ready to serve.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan summer salad recipe, also check out: