A creamy, tangy salad dressing with garden-fresh herbs and avocado! It is full of flavor and absolutely lovely with a variety of salads. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This deliciously creamy herb salad dressing is so flavorful!
It combines both parsley and basil for amazing freshness.
Plus it is oil-free. The creamy base is achieved with avocado, but feel free to swap in dairy-free yogurt or silken tofu if you wish.
The dressing works beautifully with a variety of summer salads (or also as a flavor-packed veggie dip).
Ingredients for Herb Dressing
For this recipe you will need a blender (or small food processor) and these ingredients:
- Avocado: This is to help create the creamy base. You could also replace it with plain, unsweetened vegan yogurt, silken tofu, or vegan mayonnaise if desired.
- Fresh parsley: Most often I use flat leaf parsley, but curly parsley works too.
- Fresh basil: Or substitute other fresh herbs like cilantro, dill, fresh chives, etc.
- Lemon juice: Or lime juice could also work.
- Garlic cloves: Or fresh shallot if desired.
- White wine vinegar: Or you can try apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar.
- Agave: Or pure maple syrup or other sweetener of choice.
- Salt and water
Herbs: Change this up with your own favorite herb combinations or whatever is available near you. Fresh dill, cilantro, and chives are all tasty as well.
Olive oil: I keep this dressing oil-free, but you could also whisk in a tablespoon of good quality olive oil to create an herb vinaigrette.
Vegetable dip: To make this dressing a veggie dip instead, simply add less water to achieve a thicker consistency.
Store leftovers in an airtight container or jar in the refrigerator. We find it keeps for about 3 days.
We especially enjoy this creamy dressing tossed on a fresh Summer Chopped Salad with colorful veggies (pictured below).
Note: For a similar variation, try my Creamy Cilantro-Lime Dressing which we adore as well!
Creamy Garden Herb Dressing
- 1 small avocado (or 1/2 large avocado)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley (thick stems removed)
- 1/3 cup fresh basil (or dill, cilantro, etc.)
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon, or more to taste)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. agave (or other sweetener)
- 1/8 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- 3 Tbsp. water to thin (more as need for desired consistency)
- Puree all ingredients in a small food processor or blender until smooth. (Scrape down sides with spatula as needed.)
- Add more water if needed, a little at a time, until it reaches your desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. (More salt, lemon juice, sweetener, etc.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this creamy avocado garden herb salad dressing, also feel free to check out:
- Oil Free Carrot Ginger Dressing
- Oil Free Garlic Basil Balsamic Dressing
- Quinoa Avocado Spinach Power Salad
- Cucumber Tomato Salad