A vegan Greek-style Chopped Salad recipe with chickpeas! So crisp and refreshing. Plus it's tossed in a tangy homemade vinegar-oregano dressing. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This Greek chopped salad is so crisp, refreshing, and flavorful.
It's also a great source of plant-based protein and fiber.
Best of all it's quick and easy to assemble!
The vinegar-oregano dressing takes under a minute, then you just chop up the veggies, and toss it all together.
Ingredients for Greek Chopped Salad
For this recipe you will toss together in a large bowl:
- Cucumber: I use English cucumbers (also called hothouse) because they have more flavor and less seeds. However regular seedless garden cucumbers can work too.
- Roma tomatoes: Or you can substitute grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes for a bolder, sweeter flavor. Plum tomatoes would also be great.
- Red bell pepper: Or you can use yellow bell pepper or orange bell pepper instead.
- Red onion: If you're not a fan of raw onion, you can omit this or substitute green onions for a milder taste.
- Garbanzo beans (chickpeas): These are such a great addition to this salad. Chickpeas are a nutrient-dense food, and a good source of fiber, protein, folate, iron, and many other minerals and nutrients.
- Red wine vinegar
- Dried oregano: Or substitute other herbs of choice like dried basil, Italian seasonings, etc. Just be sure your pantry spices are fresh (not expired) for best flavor.
Flavorful additions: Add vegan feta cheese crumbles, Kalamata olives, pepperoncini, or other vegetables as you see fit.
Herbs: Extra herbs like fresh oregano or parsley would be great as well.
Lettuce option: Toss in finely chopped romaine lettuce or other salad greens if you'd like.
Dressing: Change up the dressing as you see fit. You can add minced garlic cloves or fresh lemon juice to taste.
Oil note: The dressing for this recipe is oil-free. So simply whisk in a tablespoon of good quality olive oil if desired. (Or shake it in a jar to combine it.)
You can enjoy immediately or refrigerate first (for at least an hour) to let flavors combine.
It's a great make-ahead dish for take-along lunches, picnics, meal prep, potlucks, etc.
Since the flavors get better with time, you can make it a day ahead so it is ready to go.
Store your leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find it keeps well for about 4-5 days.
Ultimate Greek Chopped Salad
- 1 large cucumber (I use hothouse/English)
- 4-5 ripe roma tomatoes (or grape tomatoes)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1/2 small red onion
- 15 oz. can garbanzo beans (rinsed and drained)
- Optional: olives, vegan feta, pepperoncini, fresh herbs
For the vinegar dressing:
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Make the dressing: in a small bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Dice the cucumber, onion, bell pepper and tomatoes (removing any excess liquid from tomatoes).
- Put vegetables and garbanzo beans in a large bowl.
- Add dressing and toss to combine.
- Can eat immediately or refrigerate for at least an hour to let flavors combine. Some dressing will settle on the bottom, so stir before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan Greek-style Chickpea Chopped Salad, also feel free to check out: