A vegan Greek-style Chopped Salad recipe with chickpeas. So crisp and refreshing! Plus tossed in a tangy homemade vinegar-oregano dressing. (Gluten-free, oil-free.)
This Greek chopped salad is so crisp, refreshing, and flavorful.
It also includes plant-based protein and fiber from the chickpeas.
Plus it is quick and easy to assemble.
The vinegar-oregano dressing takes under a minute, then you just chop up the veggies, and toss it all together.
Ingredients for Greek Chopped Salad
For this recipe you will toss together in a large bowl:
- Cucumber: I use English cucumbers (also called hothouse) because they have more flavor and less seeds. However regular seedless garden cucumbers can work too.
- Roma tomatoes: Or you can substitute grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes for a bolder, sweeter flavor.
- Red bell pepper: Or yellow bell pepper or orange bell pepper.
- Red onion: If you are not a fan of raw onion, you can omit these or substitute with green onions for a milder taste.
- Garbanzo beans (chickpeas): These are such a great addition to this salad. Chickpeas are a nutrient-dense food, and a good source of fiber, protein, folate, iron, and many other minerals and nutrients.
- Red wine vinegar
- Dried oregano: Or substitute other herbs of choice like dried basil, Italian seasonings, etc.
Change up this recipe as you see fit. A few ideas include:
Flavorful additions: Add vegan feta cheese crumbles, Kalamata olives, pepperoncini, or other vegetables as you see fit.
Herbs: Extra herbs like fresh oregano or parsley would be great as well.
Lettuce: Toss in finely chopped romaine lettuce or other salad greens.
Dressing: Add minced garlic cloves or fresh lemon juice to taste.
Add oil: The dressing for this recipe is oil-free. So simply whisk in a tablespoon of olive oil if desired. (Or shake the Greek vinaigrette in a jar to combine it.)
You can enjoy immediately or refrigerate first (for at least an hour) to let flavors combine.
It is a great make-ahead dish for take-along lunches, picnics, meal prep, potlucks, etc.
Since the flavors get better with time, you can make it a day ahead so it is ready to go.
Store your Greek salad leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find it keeps well for about 4-5 days.
Ultimate Greek Chopped Salad
- 1 large cucumber (I use hothouse/English)
- 4-5 ripe roma tomatoes (or grape tomatoes)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1/2 small red onion
- 15 oz. can garbanzo beans (rinsed and drained)
- Optional: olives, vegan feta, pepperoncini, fresh herbs
For the vinegar dressing:
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Make the dressing: in a small bowl, combine all ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Dice the cucumber, onion, bell pepper and tomatoes (removing any excess liquid from tomatoes).
- Put vegetables and garbanzo beans in a large bowl.
- Add dressing and toss to combine.
- Can eat immediately or refrigerate for at least an hour to let flavors combine. Some dressing will settle on the bottom, so stir before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan Greek-style Chickpea Chopped Salad, also feel free to check out: