An easy Italian-style Chopped Salad with chickpeas, then tossed in a zesty homemade vinaigrette. A vibrant, healthy salad with big, bold flavors! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This vegan Italian-style Chopped Salad is so flavorful.
It combines a variety of colorful, plant-based goodness and hearty chickpeas. Then it is tossed with a bold and zesty Italian-inspired dressing.
Plus it is also great made ahead for picnics, potlucks, BBQs, or take along lunches.
Simply store the dressing and salad separately in the fridge, and then combine when you are ready to serve. (This helps it stay fresh and crisp, otherwise it may get soggy.)
Ingredients for Vegan Italian Salad
For this salad portion you will need:
- Garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- Jarred artichoke hearts
- Roasted red pepper
- Red onion
- Kalamata olives
- Optional: tomato, cucumber, vegan provolone, pepperoncini
Ingredients for Dressing
For the zesty Italian-style dressing you will need:
- Red wine vinegar
- Vegetable broth (or water)
- Dijon mustard
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
Vegan Italian Chopped Salad with Zesty Vinaigrette
- 1 large head romaine
- 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
- 1 cup jarred artichoke hearts (about 8 hearts)
- 1 cup roasted red pepper (about 2 large peppers)
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- Other additions: tomatoes, cucumber, vegan provolone, pepperoncini
For the Zesty Italian Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth or water
- 1-2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Make the dressing: in a bowl combine all ingredients and whisk to combine. Add more salt, or pepper if desired. Set aside.
- Chop romaine and finely dice onion. Add to a large bowl.
- Remove excess liquid from artichoke hearts, roasted red pepper, olives, and chop. Add to bowl.
- Shred or shave carrot. Rinse and drain beans. Add both to bowl.
- Whisk dressing again and pour desired amount over salad (we usually use the entire dressing). Toss well to combine. *However if not serving immediately, see suggestions below.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Vegan Italian Chopped Salad, also check out:
- Asian Style Chopped Salad
- BBQ Chickpea Chopped Salad
- Mexican Quinoa Salad
- Southwestern Chopped Salad with Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing