Easy Italian-style Chopped Salad with chickpeas, then tossed in a zesty homemade vinaigrette! A healthy mix of bold flavors. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This vegan Italian-style Chopped Salad is so flavorful. It's full of colorful, plant-based goodness and hearty chickpeas. Then it's tossed with a bold and zesty Italian-inspired dressing.
Plus it's also great made-ahead for picnics, potlucks, BBQ's, or take-along lunches. Simply store the dressing & salad separately until you're ready to serve (otherwise the romaine tends to get a little soggy).
Ingredients for Vegan Italian Salad
For this salad portion you will need:
- Garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- Jarred artichoke hearts
- Roasted red pepper
- Red onion
- Kalamata olives
- Optional: tomato, cucumber, vegan provolone, pepperoncini
Ingredients for Dressing
For the zesty Italian-style dressing you will need:
- Red wine vinegar
- Vegetable broth (or water)
- Dijon mustard
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
Vegan Italian Chopped Salad with Zesty Vinaigrette
- 1 large head romaine
- 15 oz. can garbanzo beans
- 1 cup jarred artichoke hearts (about 8 hearts)
- 1 cup roasted red pepper (about 2 large peppers)
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- Other additions: tomatoes, cucumber, vegan provolone, pepperoncini
For the Zesty Italian Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth or water
- 1-2 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Make the dressing: in a bowl combine all ingredients and whisk to combine. Add more salt, or pepper if desired. Set aside.
- Chop romaine and finely dice onion. Add to a large bowl.
- Remove excess liquid from artichoke hearts, roasted red pepper, olives, and chop. Add to bowl.
- Shred or shave carrot. Rinse and drain beans. Add both to bowl.
- Whisk dressing again and pour desired amount over salad (we usually use the entire dressing). Toss well to combine. *However if not serving immediately, see suggestions below.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying this Vegan Italian Salad, also check out:
- Asian Style Chopped Salad
- BBQ Chickpea Chopped Salad
- Mexican Quinoa Salad
- Southwestern Chopped Salad with Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make this recipe! (Also please leave a review and star rating below if you give it a try.)