The salad that makes us crave kale! Easy marinated kale salad with avocado, tomato, and a super flavorful dressing. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
Are you ready to crave kale? I know how that sounds and you probably have your doubts. But take one bite of this marinated salad and I think you might believe.
We have been making it about twice a week, and I am happy to have a kale recipe we absolutely love.
Especially since kale is such a nutrient-dense food with many claimed health benefits including anti-inflammatory compounds, antioxidants, and cancer-fighting phytonutrients.
Ingredients for Marinated Kale Salad
For this recipe, you will need:
- Large bunch of kale: Most often I use curly, but lacinato works too.
- Grape/cherry tomatoes
- Red onion: Or green onion for milder flavor.
- Sunflower seeds
- Fresh lemon juice: About 1 lemon.
- Tamari: Or substitute soy sauce.
You can also change it up with your own favorite additions and toppings!
This salad is simple to assemble, and is best eaten within a day.
For more inspiration, browse all salad recipes.
Marinated Kale Salad
- 1 large bunch curly kale*
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 5 oz. cherry/grape tomatoes
- 1/2 avocado
- 3 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
For the dressing:
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. tamari (more/less as desired)
- Tear/chop kale into bite-size pieces (stems removed). Place in a large bowl and lightly massage to tenderize.
- Thinly slice red onion. Add to kale.
- Add lemon juice and tamari. Toss well to thoroughly coat. Set aside and let the kale & onion marinate for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, dice tomato and avocado.
- Add tomato to salad and toss again. Top with avocado and sunflower seeds before serving. Best enjoyed within a day.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this salad, also check out: