This Roasted Beet and Kale Salad is tossed with an easy but flavorful balsamic-Dijon dressing. It's vibrant, nutrient-rich, and only takes 15 minutes to prepare! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This vibrant Roasted Beet Kale Salad is so nourishing and rich in plant-based nutrients. It's tossed in simple but flavorful balsamic Dijon dressing.
Antioxidant-rich beets have wonderfully earthy flavor, and they add a bright pop of color to this dish. They're a perfect pairing with tender leafy kale!
It's great for everyday enjoyment but also makes a healthy (and festive!) holiday side dish. Plus it's easy to prepare in just 15 minutes.
Ingredients for Kale Beet Salad
For this recipe you will toss together in a large mixing bowl:
- Fresh kale: I use lacinato kale (also called dinosaur kale) but curly kale works great too. We'll gently massage the kale leaves which helps make them nice and tender. You'll need one large bunch of kale, which is about 4 to 5 cups chopped.
- Cooked beets: For convenience, I use Love Beets pre-cooked baby beets (not sponsored, just love!) But feel free to roast your own fresh beets in the oven if you prefer.
- Red onion: Or you can substitute green onion for a milder taste. However I find the "bite" of the onion mellows after it mingles with the dressing for a bit.
- Sunflower seeds: We'll use about 3 tablespoons to sprinkle on top before serving, but you can use more or less as desired. Or you can substitute pepitas/pumpkin seeds if preferred.
- Balsamic vinegar
- Fresh garlic cloves: Just one clove minced garlic adds tasty flavor to the dressing. However you can substitute with dried garlic powder if needed.
- Dijon mustard: Stoneground mustard could also work.
- Salt: I use fine grain salt for this recipe. You can also include black pepper to taste.
Add beans or grains: Toss in chickpeas/garbanzo beans for a heartier dish. This makes it a great main dish or take-along lunch since the chickpeas add some plant-based protein and fiber. You can also stir in cooked quinoa or other whole grains of choice.
Nuts or vegan cheese: For more flavor and texture, feel free to sprinkle walnuts, sliced almonds, vegan feta cheese, or dairy-free goat cheese on top.
Dressing: I drizzle this salad with my simple balsamic vinaigrette, however feel free to dress this however you wish. A creamy tahini & lemon juice dressing would be lovely as well. You can also add a small amount of pure maple syrup or other sweetener of choice to help balance the flavors. I prepare the dressing oil-free, but you can whisk in up to a tablespoon of good quality extra-virgin olive oil if you wish.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. I find it keeps for about 1-2 days once you toss it with the dressing.
Note: You could also store the dressing and salad in separate containers. Then toss together when ready to serve. Simply prepare the dressing ahead of time and store in a glass mason jar in the fridge.
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan salad recipes or kale recipes.
Roasted Beet and Kale Salad
- 1 large bunch kale (about 4-5 cups chopped)
- 4 cooked baby beets* (8.8oz or 250g)
- 1 medium carrot
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 3 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
For the balsamic-Dijon dressing:
- 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. water
- Pinch of salt
- Make dressing: Place all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Chop kale into bite-sized pieces, large stems removed. Place in a large bowl and gently massage for 30 seconds to help tenderize.
- Add dressing over top of kale and toss well to combine. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the veggies.
- Dice cooked beets, shred carrot, and finely slice red onion. Place in bowl with kale.
- Toss to combine. Sprinkle sunflower seeds on top before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this balsamic kale and roasted beet salad recipe, also check out:
- Mushroom Gravy
- Almond-Garlic Green Beans
- Vegan Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Maple-Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Butternut Squash & Kale Salad
Follow The Garden Grazer on Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook for more updates and inspiration.
This is fantastic! I added some Violife vegan feta and I loved it, as did my hubby. We're both trying to diet to lose weight and get healthier, and this absolutely fit the bill! I can't wait to make this again, possibly with some added cucumber slices.
Hello, Susan! Wonderful to hear you and your husband enjoyed this recipe. Great call adding vegan feta (and cucumber next time!) Thanks so much for sharing your kind and helpful feedback. Wishing you both the very best!
This was great! I chopped up the kale really fine and added some cooked quinoa too.
Great idea adding quinoa and chopping up the kale more! Thanks so much for sharing.