This fresh Roasted Beet Kale Salad is tossed with an easy but flavorful balsamic-Dijon dressing. Vibrant, nutrient-packed, and it only takes 15 minutes! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This dish is so vibrant with bright red beets paired with leafy green kale.
It is great for everyday eating but also makes a healthy (and festive) holiday side dish.
And it is super easy to prepare. Just 7 ingredients and 15 minutes.
Ingredients for Kale Beet Salad
For this recipe you will toss together:
- Fresh kale: I use curly kale but lacinato kale will work too. I also like to gently massage my kale leaves in a large bowl which helps make them tender.
- Cooked beets: For this recipe, I use Love Beets pre-cooked baby beets (not sponsored). But feel free to roast your own fresh beets in the oven if you prefer.
- Red onion
- Sunflower seeds: Or substitute pepitas/pumpkin seeds.
- Balsamic vinegar
- Garlic cloves
- Dijon mustard
You can also include salt and black pepper to taste if desired.
Add beans: Toss in chickpeas/garbanzo beans for a heartier dish if desired. This turns it into a great main dish or take-along lunch since the chickpeas add some plant-based protein and fiber.
Nuts + vegan cheese: For more flavor and texture, feel free to sprinkle walnuts, sliced almonds, or vegan feta cheese or goat cheese on top.
Dressing: I drizzle this salad with my simple balsamic vinaigrette, however feel free to dress this however you wish. A creamy tahini + lemon juice dressing would be lovely as well. I prepare the dressing oil-free, but you can whisk in a tablespoon of good quality olive oil if you wish.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep for about 3 days.
Kale holds up pretty well, however you could also store dressing and salad in separate containers. Then toss together when ready to serve.
For more inspiration, also browse all oil-free recipes.
Roasted Beet & Kale Salad with Balsamic Dressing
- 1 bunch kale (I use curly)
- 4-5 cooked baby beets* (about 8.8oz or 250g)
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (or pumpkin seeds)
For the balsamic-Dijon dressing:
- 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. water
- Salt to taste if desired
- Make dressing: Add all dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Tear kale into bite sized pieces, large stems removed. Place in a large bowl and gently massage.
- Thinly slice red onion and dice beets. Place in bowl.
- Re-stir dressing and pour over top. (Note: depending on your taste and how big your kale bunch is, you may not need the full amount of dressing. I like mine tangy so start with a smaller amount and go from there if you wish.)
- Toss to thoroughly combine. Sprinkle sunflower seeds over top before serving.
- Best eaten within 1-2 days. (It marinates as it sits, so I love having this in the fridge throughout the day for snacking. It does tend to dull in color due to the balsamic.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this balsamic roasted beet and kale salad recipe, also check out:
- Mushroom Gravy
- Almond-Garlic Green Beans
- Vegan Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Maple-Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Butternut Squash & Kale Salad
- Maple-Cinnamon Butternut Squash