This fresh Roasted Beet Kale Salad is tossed with an easy but flavorful balsamic-Dijon dressing. Vibrant, nutrient-packed, and it only takes 15 minutes! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
Beautiful beets! I love how vibrant this dish looks with bright red beets paired with leafy green kale.
It is great for everyday eating but also makes a healthy (and festive) holiday side dish.
And it is super easy to prepare. Just 7 ingredients & 15 minutes.
For this recipe, I use Love Beets pre-cooked baby beets (not sponsored) but feel free to roast your own fresh beets if you prefer.
Ingredients for Beet Kale Salad
For this recipe you will need:
- Fresh kale: I use curly kale but lacinato will work too.
- Cooked beets
- Red onion
- Sunflower seeds: Or pumpkin seeds.
- Balsamic vinegar
- Dijon mustard
Adding garbanzo beans makes it a great main dish or take-along lunch as well.
For more inspiration, also browse all oil-free recipes.
Roasted Beet & Kale Salad with Balsamic Dressing
- 1 bunch kale (I use curly)
- 4-5 cooked baby beets* (about 8.8oz or 250g)
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds (or pumpkin seeds)
For the balsamic-Dijon dressing:
- 3 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp. water
- Salt to taste if desired
- Make dressing: add all ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Tear kale into bite sized pieces, stems removed. Place in a large bowl and gently massage.
- Thinly slice red onion and dice beets. Place in bowl.
- Re-stir dressing and pour over top. (Note: depending on your taste and how big your kale bunch is, you may not need the full amount of dressing. I like mine tangy so start with a smaller amount and go from there if you wish.)
- Toss to thoroughly combine. Sprinkle sunflower seeds over top before serving.
- Best eaten within 1-2 days. (It marinates as it sits, so I love having this in the fridge throughout the day for snacking. It does tend to dull in color due to the balsamic.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this beet and kale salad, also check out:
- Mushroom Gravy
- Almond-Garlic Green Beans
- Vegan Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Maple-Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Butternut Squash & Kale Salad
- Maple-Cinnamon Butternut Squash