Fall Harvest Salad featuring roasted butternut squash & hearty kale. Tossed in the most flavorful rosemary-infused maple-balsamic dressing!
I love this Roasted Butternut Squash & Kale Salad when the weather starts to chill. It's a great seasonal dish and a healthy option for autumn, Thanksgiving, and holidays.
Plus the vibrant colors look so festive!
Ingredients for Squash Kale Salad
For this recipe you will need:
- Kale (I use dinosaur/lacinato)
- Butternut squash
- Dried cranberries
- Pumpkin seeds
- Balsamic vinegar
- Pure maple syrup
- Dijon mustard
- Fresh rosemary
The rosemary-infused maple balsamic dressing is what makes this recipe shine. (I also use it on other salads for a wonderful addition of flavor.)
If you're making the salad ahead of time, feel free to store the dressing & salad separately. Then toss together before serving.
Otherwise, kale holds up pretty well so you can certainly toss it with the dressing and let it marinate in the fridge beforehand - the flavors will beautifully intensify.
Butternut Squash & Kale Salad with Maple-Balsamic Dressing
- 1 large bunch kale (I use dinosaur/lacinato)
- 2 cups butternut squash (cubed)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pepitas/pumpkin seeds
For the maple-balsamic dressing:
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. fresh rosemary, minced (or more to taste)
- 1/8 tsp. salt (more/less to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Prepare the butternut squash: slice off each end, cut vertically in half, and remove the seeds. Peel and cube squash into about 3/4" chunks. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and arrange squash cubes in a single layer. Salt/pepper to taste if desired (or other seasonings if you wish).
- Roast for 30-35 minutes (or to desired tenderness), stirring halfway through.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing: mince garlic and fresh rosemary (stems removed). Add all dressing ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine. Taste and alter flavors if desired. (Salt, more maple syrup for sweetness, more rosemary, etc.) Set aside.
- Tear or slice kale into bite-sized pieces (stems removed). Place in a large bowl. Gently massage to soften.
- Pour dressing over kale and massage again to incorporate. Set aside and let marinate for a few minutes.
- When squash is done, add to kale and gently toss. Sprinkle cranberries and pepitas on top. (Or try it with some Maple-Vanilla Candied Nuts!)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Enjoying this Butternut Squash Kale Salad? Also check out:
- Vegan Mini Meatloaf
- 15-Minute Miso-Glazed Green Beans
- Roasted Vegetable Panini with Pesto
- Balsamic Green Bean Salad
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review and star rating below if you give it a try - your feedback is always very appreciated. Thank you!)