This cozy vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup recipe is a warm, soul-soothing, autumn meal. It is creamy and buttery (without the butter and cream) and only 6 simple, plant-based ingredients. Personalize it with the toppings you love! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This butternut squash soup is only 6 plant-based ingredients yet creamy, buttery, and full of warm flavor. (With no butter, olive oil, or heavy cream!)
I roast the squash first in the oven for two reasons: the flavor it brings out is amazing, and this way you don't have to mess with cutting raw squash into cubes which can be time-consuming.
Then we simply blend the tender roasted squash with the rest of the ingredients, and boil/simmer in a medium pot to combine.
Ingredients for Butternut Squash Soup
For this recipe you will need:
- Butternut squash: Try to find one that is about 3 to 3.5 pounds for this recipe.
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Vegetable broth
- Coconut milk: I use light and unsweetened.
- Ground nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Feel free to stir in fresh herbs if desired such as sage, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, etc. Ginger, carrot, celery, or sweet potato are also possible additions.
Tools You'll Need
I use a 9-cup blender to puree this soup, however you can use an immersion blender instead if desired. (See notes below the recipe for guidance.) If your blender is smaller you may need to blend in batches.
Toppings are optional for additional flavor. A few ideas include:
- A swirl of pure maple syrup
- Maple-Vanilla Candied Walnuts: I really enjoy this addition for crunch and texture.
- Diced apple
- Pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- A dash of ground cinnamon or nutmeg
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep for about 3-4 days.
Freezer: I have not tried freezing this recipe so I can't say for sure if the texture would hold up because of the coconut milk. However my best guess is it might freeze okay for up to 1 month.
Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 butternut squash (3 to 3 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 small yellow onion (or shallot)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz. can coconut milk (light, unsweetened)
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg (more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. salt (more to taste)
Serving suggestions (optional):
- Swirl of maple syrup, maple-vanilla candied walnuts, pumpkin seeds, diced green apple, cinnamon
ROAST THE SQUASH:
- Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Carefully halve the butternut squash vertically and remove seeds.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place squash halves face down.
- Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until fork-tender and very soft. Set aside to cool.
PREPARE THE SOUP:
- Meanwhile, in a blender* add vegetable broth, coconut milk, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Dice onion and mince garlic.
- In a small pan over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. vegetable broth/water for no-oil sauté method.)
- Add minced garlic and sauté another 1-2 minutes. Then add onion and garlic to blender.
- When the squash is done baking and cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh with a spoon and place in blender.
- Blend until smooth and transfer to a large saucepan on the stove.
- Heat over medium for about 10-15 minutes to let flavors further combine.
- Serve as is or with any desired toppings.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan Roasted Butternut Squash Soup recipe, also check out: