This comforting vegan Vegetable Barley Soup is simple to prepare and so hearty, satisfying, and cozy. Plus it's easy to customize with your own favorite vegetables!
Vegetable Barley Soup is such a classic cold-weather comfort meal because it's so warm and cozy. The addition of chewy, tender pearled barley makes it feel so pleasantly filling and satisfying.
In the winter, I like to use whatever frozen vegetables I have on hand. (Usually peas, sweet corn, green beans, and broccoli.)
But feel free to customize this soup with your own favorites because it's very versatile. Cabbage, bell pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, or even greens stirred in at the end are all lovely additions.
Ingredients for Vegetable Barley Soup
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Canned diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- Vegetable broth
- Pearled barley
- Green beans (I use frozen)
- Sweet corn (frozen, canned, fire-roasted, etc.)
- Peas (I use frozen)
- Dried basil & oregano
- White miso (optional but recommended!)
Barley contains gluten, so for those with allergies or sensitivities, replace it with rice, quinoa, or your favorite gluten-free pasta.
Vegetable Barley Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 carrots
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup pearled barley, uncooked
- 1 1/2 cups cut green beans (I use frozen)
- 1 cup sweet corn (I use frozen)
- 1 cup peas (I use frozen)
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. white miso (to stir in at the end)
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Dice onion.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/vegetable broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Meanwhile, dice carrot and mince garlic.
- When onions are translucent, add carrot, garlic, basil, and oregano. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add broth, tomatoes with juice, and green beans. Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Rinse barley well.
- When broth is lightly boiling, add barley. Stir and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 35-40 minutes or until barley is tender. (Add more broth or water if desired as the barley will soak up some liquid.)
- When barley is cooked, stir in sweet corn and peas. Heat for 5 more minutes.
- Optional (but recommended!) miso addition: in a small bowl, whisk 1 Tbsp. white miso with 1/3 cup warm water to remove clumps. Add to pot right before serving and stir well to combine. (Or simply salt/pepper to taste as needed.)
- Great served with chopped parsley (or your favorite herbs).
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan Vegetable Barley Soup, also browse all soup recipes or check out: