An easy vegan Mushroom Barley Soup recipe with kale! So nourishing and satisfying. This simple meal is great for lunch or dinner on chilly days.
This Mushroom Barley Soup with fresh kale is such a simple, hearty soup.
Simmer up a large pot for a cozy lunch or dinner on chilly days.
Plus it is easy to make and very versatile.
You can change up the seasonings and herbs as desired, or use your own favorite veggies.
Ingredients for Barley Soup
For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot:
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves
- Mushrooms: I use cremini mushrooms (baby bellas), but choose your own favorite variety or a combination. White button mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, portobello, or even dried mushrooms like porcini mushrooms.
- Pearled barley: This has such a tender, hearty texture when you boil it, which is great for this cozy soup. Plus it contains plant-based protein and fiber.
- Vegetable broth
- White wine vinegar: Or substitute apple cider vinegar or unseasoned rice vinegar.
- Dried Italian seasoning
- Kale: Or you can substitute fresh baby spinach.
Veggies: Add potatoes, leeks, green peas, rutabaga, zucchini, yellow summer squash, bell pepper, etc.
Gluten-free option: Barley is not a gluten-free grain. So if you are needing a gluten-free replacement, simply use whole grain brown rice or quinoa instead.
Herbs + spices: This recipe uses Italian seasonings, but change up the taste with your own favorites. Dried basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, sage, bay leaves, etc. Fresh parsley is a great garnish on top of your bowls as well.
Umami flavor: Before serving, you can also add tamari or soy sauce to taste. White miso is also a great addition.
Make it meaty: Stir in your favorite vegan beef crumbles for extra heartiness as well.
Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the refrigerator. We find they keep well for about 4-5 days. Reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
Instant Pot note: I have not tested this cooking method, but I suspect it would do very well in a pressure cooker. Simply sauté the veggies first, then I'd estimate about 20 minutes on high pressure.
Mushroom Barley Soup with Kale
- 1 yellow onion
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 10 oz. mushrooms (I use cremini)
- 1/2 cup pearled barley
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning (or basil, oregano, etc.)
- 1-2 cups kale, chopped (or spinach)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Prepare veggies: dice onion, carrot, and celery. Slice mushrooms.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. veggie broth/water for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add garlic and Italian seasoning. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add carrot, celery, and mushrooms. Stir and sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add 6 cups vegetable broth. Increase heat and bring to a light boil.
- Meanwhile, rinse barley. When soup is lightly boiling, add barley. Stir, reduce heat to med-low, cover, and simmer for about 35 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Roughly chop kale, large stems removed.
- Stir in kale and white wine vinegar during the last couple minutes of cooking. Salt/pepper to taste before serving. (Or garnish with fresh parsley or dill.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan mushroom barley & kale soup recipe, also check out: