An easy vegan Green Bean Salad recipe with lemon-balsamic dressing. It's only 7 ingredients, so vibrant, and a beautiful taste of summer! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free option.)
This green bean salad is a great summertime dish when beans are in peak season.
Crisp, tender green beans are marinated in a garlic-balsamic dressing with a hint of lemon. Then we toss them with sweet tomatoes and optional vegan cheese.
It's simple to prepare, and so fresh and tasty!
Ingredients for Green Bean Salad
For this recipe you will need:
- Fresh green beans: You will need one pound for this recipe. Green beans are available year round, but they are especially fresh in May through October during their peak season.
- Cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes: Or you can substitute with roma, plum tomato, or other garden tomato if desired. I like cherry/grape best because they have such a rich, sweet flavor.
- Red onion
- Balsamic vinegar: If you're not a fan of balsamic, you could try apple cider vinegar instead (although I haven't tested this).
- Fresh lemon juice: We will use two tablespoons lemon juice, which is about a half lemon.
- Olive oil: This is completely optional. Simply omit for an oil-free version.
- Salt and black pepper to taste
It's best served the same day if you are looking for eye appeal. The green beans do start to fade in color the longer they marinate in the dark balsamic dressing.
Dairy-free cheese: You can also add vegan feta cheese crumbles before serving. Either use your own favorite homemade tofu feta recipe, or "Violife Foods" and "Follow Your Heart" both sell vegan feta.
Looking for more? Also check out this delicious oil-free Three Bean Salad with Vinegar Dressing!
Balsamic Green Bean Salad
- 1 lb. fresh green beans
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 small red onion
- Optional: vegan feta crumbles
For the lemon-balsamic dressing:
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (optional - omit for oil-free)
- Make the dressing: in a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients.
- Trim ends off green beans and rinse. Steam (or boil) for about 3-4 minutes until crisp-tender. In a colander, rinse well with cold water to stop cooking, then pat dry. Cut green beans into 1 to 2 inch pieces.
- Finely dice red onion.
- Place onion and green beans in a bowl. Drizzle dressing over top and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to marinate for best flavor.
- When ready to serve, add diced tomatoes, vegan feta (optional) and lightly toss.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this fresh vegan green bean salad, also check out: