Celebrate spring with this light and fresh vegan Spring Minestrone Soup! Featuring seasonal produce, white beans, and fresh dill in a flavorful miso-enhanced broth.
This Spring Minestrone soup is a lovely way to bridge the gap between chilly winter and blossoming springtime.
It is a lightened-up version of the classic Italian-style Minestrone; utilizing tasty seasonal produce like asparagus, leeks, peas, and potato.
Not to mention the fresh addition of dill and a flavorful miso-enhanced broth.
Ingredients for Spring Minestrone
For this recipe, you will need:
- Red potatoes
- Peas: Fresh green peas, frozen sweet peas, or fresh sugar snap.
- Vegetable broth
- Fresh dill
- White beans: I use cannellini which are nice and creamy, but great northern or even garbanzos could work too.
- White miso
Plus the leftovers are wonderful as the flavors continue to develop.
It is a great, simple meal to enjoy throughout the week or for take-along lunches to reheat.
For more inspiration, browse all white bean recipes.
- 2 leeks (white & pale-green parts only)
- 2 carrots
- 2-3 medium red potatoes (2-3 cups diced)
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bunch asparagus (2-3 cups sliced)
- 1 cup peas* (or sugar snap peas, sliced)
- 15 oz. can cannellini beans (or great northern, garbanzo, etc.)
- 2-3 Tbsp. fresh dill
- 1 Tbsp. white miso
- Prepare leeks: trim off the roots and dark green tops. (You'll use the white & pale green parts only.) Cut leeks in half lengthwise. Rinse very well under the faucet, fanning out the layers to remove any stubborn grit/soil trapped inside. Drain well. Then slice them in small half-moons.
- Dice carrots.
- In a large stockpot over med-high heat, sauté leeks and carrots for 5-6 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/veggie broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Meanwhile, dice potatoes.
- When leeks are softened, add potatoes and broth to stockpot. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 8-10 minutes. (Or until potatoes are just tender as they will continue to cook through the next couple steps.)
- Meanwhile, remove woody ends from asparagus and slice into about 1 1/2" pieces. Roughly chop dill.
- When potatoes are just tender, add asparagus, peas, white beans (rinsed and drained), and fresh dill. Stir and return to a light boil. Simmer for 3 minutes or until asparagus is tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk miso with about 1/4 cup warm water to thin and remove clumps. Add to pot and stir. Salt/pepper to taste if desired or garnish with additional fresh dill before serving.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan spring soup, also check out: