A warmly satisfying vegan Coconut Curry Vegetable Soup with a silky, golden broth. Easy to prepare, flavorful, and also just 7 simple ingredients! (Gluten-free, oil-free.)
This simple 7-ingredient soup only takes about 40 minutes from start to finish.
It quickly develops a silky, golden broth that is rich with flavor and packed with veggies.
I enjoy the challenge of making a recipe as easy as possible without skimping on flavor. For this soup you simply:
- Chop a few veggies.
- Add everything together in a pot.
- Then let it simmer to golden perfection.
Ingredients for Vegetable Curry Soup
For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot:
- Fresh cauliflower
- Gold potato: I like the buttery taste and texture of Yukon gold potatoes, but you can substitute with white potatoes or russet potatoes if desired.
- Vegetable broth: Be sure to use low sodium if needed.
- Coconut milk: I use regular and unsweetened canned coconut milk.
- Curry powder: This is a flavorful mixture of warm spices. It often includes things like ground turmeric, cumin, coriander, black pepper, ginger, etc. Curry powder can range in spiciness depending on how much cayenne pepper (or other chili peppers) are included. Most often I use the "Simply Organic" brand which is mild to moderate heat.
- Sweet peas: For convenience, I use frozen peas. There's no need to defrost them before adding to the pot.
- Fresh baby spinach: This is optional, but great to include. Or you could stir in fresh kale instead.
Rice: Feel free to serve this soup with a spoonful of cooked brown rice.
Bread: Warm pita or naan bread is great because it is delicious dipped in the flavorful, silky broth.
Fresh herbs: We also enjoy topping our bowl with a tablespoon of fresh cilantro before serving.
Protein: Add chickpeas (or other white bean of choice) or tofu for extra protein and fiber if you'd like.
Citrus: Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or lime juice if desired.
Change up this recipe how you see fit!
Other additions: Broccoli, snow peas, water chestnuts, onion, garlic, ginger, green beans, zucchini, sweet potato, bell pepper, mushrooms, etc.
For more inspiration, also browse all Indian-inspired recipes.
Coconut Curry Vegetable Soup
- 1 small head cauliflower (about 3 cups florets)
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 medium gold potatoes (about 2 cups cubed)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 14 oz. can coconut milk (I use regular, unsweetened)
- 1 1/3 Tbsp. curry powder (1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp.)
- 1 1/2 cups peas (I use frozen)
- Salt/pepper to taste
- Baby spinach (to stir in at the end)
- Fresh cilantro for serving
- Dice carrot and potatoes. Cut cauliflower into small florets.
- In a stockpot, combine all ingredients except frozen peas (and spinach if using).
- Bring to a light boil over high heat then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes (or until potatoes are cooked through).
- Stir in frozen peas (and spinach if using). Heat for 2 minutes.
- Salt/pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan Vegetable Coconut Curry Soup recipe, also check out: