A rich and savory oil-free Vegan Mushroom Gravy recipe with onion and herbs. Easy to prepare and so delicious over mashed potatoes! Plus it is made healthier with no butter or oil.
This oil-free and vegan Mushroom Gravy recipe is one of my favorites. It's perfect spooned over a warm bed of mashed potatoes or vegan biscuits.
It is so rich with umami flavor, and made with healthier ingredients. (And no butter or oil!)
Plus it is easy to prepare, and a great option for Thanksgiving or holiday dinner.
I actually like preparing two gravies for Thanksgiving. This recipe along with the 10-minute Easy Vegan Gravy. We find they are so delicious together!
Ingredients for Oil-Free Mushroom Gravy
For this recipe you will combine in a large skillet or pan:
- Yellow onion: You could also use shallot if preferred.
- Mushrooms: Most often I use cremini mushrooms, but shiitake, portobello mushrooms, white button, etc. will work.
- Garlic powder: Or fresh minced garlic cloves.
- All-purpose flour: This is used to thicken the gravy. I use Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour blend.
- Vegetable broth: Or you can also use mushroom broth. Use low sodium if desired.
- Dried oregano
- Fresh thyme: I like the flavor of fresh thyme best, but you can substitute dried thyme or other herbs such as fresh rosemary.
- Tamari: Or soy sauce, but I use tamari for gluten-free. Just 1-2 tablespoons will add a rich, savory, salty flavor.
- Salt and black pepper: Add to taste if desired.
Change up this recipe as you see fit. A few ideas for customizing include:
Herbs: Use your own favorite herbs such as dried or fresh rosemary, thyme, oregano, or sage. They add such a bright, aromatic delight to this recipe.
Red wine vinegar: Add 1-2 teaspoons red wine vinegar (with the broth) for a little more depth and slight tangy flavor.
Vegan butter: For extra richness, add 1 Tbsp. vegan butter to the pan at the end of cooking. Simply stir it into the warm gravy until dissolved. (I find this isn't necessary, but it can add some extra richness if you prefer!)
This gravy tends to thicken as it sits. So if preparing in advance, simply stir in an extra splash of vegetable broth when reheating if desired.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. We find it keeps well for about 4 days.
Making Mashed Potatoes
I like Yukon gold potatoes best for mashed potatoes. They have a rich, smooth texture and buttery flavor.
To make easy mashed potatoes:
- Prepare + cook: Simply peel, dice, and steam potatoes for about 10 minutes or until very soft. (You can also boil them for 10 minutes if you'd prefer.)
- Mash: Then immediately transfer potatoes to a bowl. Add a splash of vegetable broth (or plain + unsweetened milk). Mash to desired consistency.
- Add flavor: Chives, vegan butter, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt are optional additions as well.
For a pressure cooker version, I've had pretty good results with this Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe from Minimalist Baker. (However I reduce/omit the vegan butter, and also very slightly decrease the cooking liquid called for.)
For us, this vegan gravy recipe yields enough for about 3 to 4 pounds of potatoes.
For more inspiration, also browse all sauce and seasoning.
Vegan Mushroom Gravy
- 1 small yellow onion
- 12 oz. mushrooms (I use cremini)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (GF if desired*)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1-2 tsp. fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- Finely dice onion. Slice mushrooms.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 2-3 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Add mushrooms. Sauté for 8 minutes or until softened.
- Meanwhile, finely chop fresh thyme and set aside.
- When onions are translucent, add garlic powder and dried oregano. Stir.
- Then sprinkle flour on top. Stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in 2 1/2 cups broth (a little at a time) whisking well until flour clumps are gone. Add fresh thyme and tamari.
- Bring to a light boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Adjust flavors if desired (more herbs, tamari, salt/pepper, etc.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this oil-free vegan mushroom gravy recipe, also check out:
- Lentil Quinoa Fall Salad with Maple Dressing
- Maple-Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Vegan Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Maple-Cinnamon Butternut Squash