My favorite gravy! Savory vegan Mushroom Gravy with onion, herbs, and hearty mushrooms. Absolutely delicious over a soft, fluffy bed of mashed potatoes.
This mushroom gravy is my all-time favorite! It is so hearty, satisfying, and flavorful. Plus it is also pretty simple to prepare.
Feel free to change up the herbs however you wish. I have used combinations of thyme, basil, sage, and oregano that are all delicious. For us, the recipe yields enough gravy for about 4 lbs. of potatoes.
Ingredients for Mushroom Gravy
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Mushrooms (I use cremini but any should work)
- All-purpose flour (I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free)
- White wine (or simply use more vegetable broth or a splash of apple cider vinegar)
- Vegetable broth
- Dried oregano
- Dried thyme
- Vegan butter (I use Miyoko's)
For more inspiration, also browse all sauce & seasoning.
- 1/2 small yellow onion
- 16 oz. mushrooms (I use cremini)
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour (GF if desired)
- 1/4 cup white wine*
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1-2 Tbsp. vegan butter (I like Miyoko's)
- Fresh thyme (or other herbs), garlic, miso, tamari
- Finely dice onion. Thinly slice mushrooms.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onion for 2 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Add mushrooms. Sauté for 8 minutes or until softened.
- Add dried herbs. Sprinkle flour on top. Gently stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add white wine* to deglaze pan, and cook for 3-4 minutes (or until most of the liquid has evaporated).
- Add broth and stir until flour clumps are gone. Bring to a light boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Turn off heat and stir in butter until melted. (Miso or tamari are also great additions.) Salt/pepper to taste if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan mushroom gravy, also check out:
- Lentil Quinoa Fall Salad with Maple Dressing
- Maple-Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Vegan Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Butternut Squash & Kale Salad
- Maple-Cinnamon Butternut Squash