An easy, oil-free Vegan Gravy recipe made with no butter! Only 7 ingredients and incredibly simple to prepare on the stove. Done in 10 minutes or less! (Gluten-free.)
This easy vegan gravy is incredibly simple to prepare. You combine everything in a pot, then simmer to thicken it up. That's it!
Plus it only takes 10 minutes or less on the stovetop.
So it's a great choice for Thanksgiving dinner, holidays, or whenever a gravy craving hits.
I'm a big fan of gravy, so for Thanksgiving, I actually like to prepare two different gravies. This quick & easy recipe, and also this Mushroom Gravy. We find they pair really well together!
Ingredients for Vegan Gravy
This recipe includes some of my favorite go-to flavors and ingredients:
- Vegetable broth
- All-purpose flour: For gluten-free, I use Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour blend. You could also substitute with oat flour if desired. (Or another thickener like a cornstarch slurry.)
- Nutritional yeast: This adds a savory, slightly cheesy taste and richness.
- Tamari: Or soy sauce, but I use tamari for gluten-free. This provides umami flavor and saltiness.
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Dijon mustard
You can also add salt and black pepper if desired.
Herbs: For more flavor and aromatics, stir in some poultry seasoning, rosemary, oregano, thyme, parsley, or fresh chives to taste. (You can use either dried herbs or fresh herbs.)
Thickness: This is a medium-thick gravy. For an extra-thick gravy, decrease the broth to 2 cups. For a thinner gravy, increase broth to 3 cups. Then slightly adjust flavors as needed.
Richness: You can also stir in a tablespoon of vegan butter or olive oil if desired, but I find it's really not necessary.
This recipe yields about 2 and 2/3 cups gravy.
If pairing with mashed potatoes, we find this is a good match for about 3 to 4 pounds of potatoes.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep for about 3-4 days. Simply reheat in the microwave.
Freezing: I have not tried freezing this recipe, but I think it would freeze very well. Be sure to let it cool completely before placing in the freezer.
For more inspiration, also browse all sauce + seasoning.
Easy Vegan Gravy
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour* (gluten-free if desired)
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp. tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
Herb variation (optional):
- Add about 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning, rosemary, oregano, thyme, sage, or fresh chives
- Add all ingredients to a medium pot over medium-high heat.
- Immediately whisk well to combine, making sure all flour clumps are dissolved.
- Bring to a light simmer, whisking often until gravy is thick and smooth. (It can thicken fast so keep an eye on it!)
- Taste and adjust flavors if desired, or add salt/pepper.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this oil free vegan gravy recipe, also check out:
- Vegan Mini Meatloaf with Maple-Balsamic Glaze
- Butternut Squash and Kale Salad
- Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- Lentil Quinoa Fall Salad with Maple Dressing
Follow The Garden Grazer on Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook for more updates and inspiration.
Yum! This recipe is so simple and good! This is my first time making gravy. I skipped the garlic powder and mustard (I have GERD, unfortunately) and added poultry seasoning as suggested. It still turned out great! Thank you!
That's so great, Stephanie! Glad you were able to adjust it to suit your needs. Thanks so much for sharing your very kind & helpful feedback!