An easy, oil-free Vegan Gravy recipe made with no butter! Only 7 ingredients and incredibly simple to prepare on the stove. Done in 10 minutes or less! (Gluten-free.)
This easy vegan gravy is incredibly simple to prepare. You combine everything in a pot, then simmer to thicken it up. That's it!
Plus it only takes 10 minutes or less on the stovetop.
So it's a great choice for Thanksgiving dinner, holidays, or whenever a gravy craving hits.
I'm a big fan of gravy, so for Thanksgiving, I actually like to prepare two different gravies. This quick & easy recipe, and also this Mushroom Gravy. We find they pair really well together!
Ingredients for Vegan Gravy
This recipe includes some of my favorite go-to flavors and ingredients:
- Vegetable broth
- All-purpose flour: For gluten-free, I use Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour blend. You could also substitute with oat flour if desired. (Or another thickener like a cornstarch slurry.)
- Nutritional yeast: This adds a savory, slightly cheesy taste and richness.
- Tamari: Or soy sauce, but I use tamari for gluten-free. This provides umami flavor and saltiness.
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Dijon mustard
You can also add salt and black pepper if desired.
Herbs: For more flavor and aromatics, stir in some poultry seasoning, rosemary, oregano, thyme, parsley, or fresh chives to taste. (You can use either dried herbs or fresh herbs.)
Thickness: This is a medium-thick gravy. For an extra-thick gravy, decrease the broth to 2 cups. For a thinner gravy, increase broth to 3 cups. Then slightly adjust flavors as needed.
Richness: You can also stir in a tablespoon of vegan butter or olive oil if desired, but I find it's really not necessary.
This recipe yields about 2 and 2/3 cups gravy.
If pairing with mashed potatoes, we find this is a good match for about 3 to 4 pounds of potatoes.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep for about 3-4 days. Simply reheat in the microwave.
Freezing: I have not tried freezing this recipe, but I think it would freeze very well. Be sure to let it cool completely before placing in the freezer.
For more inspiration, also browse all sauce + seasoning.
Easy Vegan Gravy
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour* (gluten-free if desired)
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp. tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
Herb variation (optional):
- Add about 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning, rosemary, oregano, thyme, sage, or fresh chives
- Add all ingredients to a medium pot over medium-high heat.
- Immediately whisk well to combine, making sure all flour clumps are dissolved.
- Bring to a light simmer, whisking often until gravy is thick and smooth. (It can thicken fast so keep an eye on it!)
- Taste and adjust flavors if desired, or add salt/pepper.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this oil free vegan gravy recipe, also check out:
- Vegan Mini Meatloaf with Maple-Balsamic Glaze
- Butternut Squash and Kale Salad
- Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- Lentil Quinoa Fall Salad with Maple Dressing