An easy, flavorful Vegan Coleslaw Dressing recipe made dairy-free and oil-free with no mayo! It's creamy, slightly tangy, and so fresh made right at home. Just add cabbage for a quick coleslaw! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
Let's make a Vegan Coleslaw Dressing with healthier ingredients and no oil! It's so creamy, rich, and delectable with great flavor.
Instead of standard store-bought mayo, we use a homemade cashew "mayo" with whole food, plant-based ingredients.
The taste is so fresh and delicious when making your own dressings right at home. Plus you can customize the flavors and seasonings just the way you like them.
This dressing is easy to assemble, then you can just add cabbage for a healthy, refreshing side dish! Coleslaw is a classic choice for summertime picnics, potlucks, BBQs, or simply enjoyment at home.
Ingredients for Vegan Coleslaw Dressing
For this recipe you'll whisk together in a small bowl:
- Cashew mayo: I use my easy homemade Cashew Mayo recipe. (But you can substitute your own favorite vegan mayo if desired.) I like to make this in advance and have it in the fridge for when I'm ready.
- Apple cider vinegar: Or you can use distilled white vinegar or unseasoned rice vinegar instead.
- Fresh lemon juice: Just a tablespoon adds some brightness to the dressing. But you can leave it out if you prefer as I find it's not completely necessary.
- Pure maple syrup: This helps balance out the flavors from the acidity from the vinegar and lemon juice. Use as much or as little as you'd like, or omit it entirely if desired. You can also substitute you own favorite sweetener like agave nectar or vegan honey.
- Dijon mustard: Or you can substitute stoneground mustard instead.
- Celery seed: Just a little goes a long way! This is a classic flavor in coleslaw dressing, so I don't recommend leaving it out.
- Onion powder: You can also add salt and black pepper to taste if needed.
Add poppy seeds: Poppy seeds are often found in classic coleslaw dressing so feel free to add some. I'd suggest starting with 1-2 tablespoons and adjusting from there.
How To Make a Quick Coleslaw
Just add cabbage! This recipe yields one cup dressing. I find that's a great match for 6 cups lightly packed (or about 12 ounces) coleslaw mix. Simply toss the dressing with shredded green cabbage, red cabbage, or both in a large mixing bowl. (A box grater, mandoline, or sharp knife is helpful to shred cabbage.) Or you can look for the convenient pre-shredded coleslaw mix bags at the store.
Expand your slaw: I also like to stir in other slaw veggies like carrot, fresh parsley or cilantro, sliced green onions, sunflower seeds, and slivered almonds. Use whatever sounds good!
Try Kale Slaw! Use this dressing to create a delicious Kale Slaw made with a double-cruciferous blend of cabbage and kale. (It's my favorite!)
Serve your vegan coleslaw with other summer barbecue favorites such as:
- Vegan Macaroni Salad
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Black Bean Walnut Burgers
- Vegan Italian Pasta Salad
- Three Bean Salad
- Restaurant-Style Blender Salsa
- Ultimate Greek Chopped Salad
Store leftovers in a small mason glass jar or other airtight container in the refrigerator. I find it keeps for about 5 days, but use your best judgement.
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan oil-free salad dressing recipes.
Vegan Coleslaw Dressing (Oil-Free!)
- 2/3 cup cashew mayo
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. celery seed
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- Optional: poppy seeds, salt & pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl. Stir or whisk to combine.
- Taste and adjust flavors if desired. Can use immediately or refrigerate first to let flavors further develop.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this oil-free vegan coleslaw dressing recipe, also check out: