This is our very favorite Thai-style easy Peanut Sauce recipe with garlic, ginger, and a touch of sweetness! It's only 6 simple ingredients and 10 minutes to make. Plus incredibly versatile in the ways you can enjoy it. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
I cannot contain my excitement for this easy peanut sauce recipe!
It's one of my favorites and has such amazing taste and texture.
We balance the flavors by combining fresh garlic, ginger, and some tangy sweetness. Then swirl it into a luscious peanut butter base.
Plus it's easy to make with only 6 ingredients and less than 10 minutes of prep time. Let's do this!
Ingredients for Thai Peanut Sauce
For this recipe you will whisk together in a bowl:
- Peanut butter: I use creamy and natural. (If peanuts are an issue, I'm guessing you could substitute it with a different nut butter or seed butter, but I have not tested this.)
- Brown sugar or maple syrup: Most often I use pure maple syrup for a refined sugar-free option. But brown sugar works great too.
- Tamari: Or substitute soy sauce or coconut aminos. I use tamari for gluten-free.
- Fresh lemon juice or lime juice
- Garlic cloves: Either use one or two fresh minced garlic cloves depending on your preference.
- Fresh ginger: You can use as much or as little as you prefer.
- Hot water: This is used to thin the sauce to your desired consistency.
Like it spicy? You can also add some heat with red pepper flakes or sriracha sauce to taste.
Ways to Use
This recipe is super flexible in ways to make it and enjoy it. A few ideas include:
- Thai-Style Quinoa Salad (pictured above)
- On noodle dishes like Easy Peanut Noodles (pictured below)
- Spring Roll Bowls
- As a dipping sauce for fresh veggie spring rolls
- On protein like tempeh or Baked Tofu
- A rich sauce for stir fry with vegetables
- Thin it out to create a flavorful salad dressing (to use on this Asian-Style Kale + Tofu Salad or Asian-Style Chopped Salad)
Store your leftovers in an airtight container or sealed mason jar in the fridge. We find they keep for about 4-5 days.
Easy Peanut Sauce
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (I use creamy, natural)
- 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup or brown sugar (more/less to taste)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon or lime juice
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. fresh grated ginger (more/less to taste)
- Hot water to thin to desired consistency
- Optional: red pepper flakes
- Mince garlic and grate ginger. (I use a microplane grater for ginger.)
- In a mixing bowl, add all ingredients except water.
- Heat about 3/4 cup of water to just under boiling.
- Add water a couple tablespoons at a time, slowly whisking and working the mixture together.
- Continue adding water and whisking until sauce reaches your desired consistency. (I usually add about 1/3 - 1/2 cup hot water.)
- Salt to taste if desired or adjust flavors as needed: more tamari for saltiness, more sweetener, garlic, ginger, or fresh lemon/lime juice.