Our favorite easy baked tofu recipe! Simple to prepare, only 6 ingredients, and such delicious savory flavor. Perfect for snacking, salads, rice bowls, etc. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This simple marinated baked tofu is so flavorful and versatile.
Plus it is only 6 ingredients and filled with plant-based protein.
Since tofu is basically a blank palette, this easy marinade brings tons of savory flavor.
For this recipe you will need:
- Extra-firm tofu
- Tamari: Or soy sauce, but I use tamari for gluten-free.
- Rice vinegar: I use unseasoned. (Seasoned rice vinegar contains added sugar and salt.)
- Pure maple syrup: This is a great natural sweetener.
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
Garnish your bowl with sesame seeds and sliced green onion if desired.
How to Make
This recipe is simple to prepare:
- First, drain and remove excess moisture from tofu block. (Either between a layer of paper towels or a tofu press if you have one.)
- Then slice the tofu in cubes.
- Whisk together the marinade sauce. Pour over tofu.
- Let it marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Then place tofu and bake in the oven at 375°F (190°C).
We enjoy snacking on them hot off the pan, but they are also awesome in many dishes:
- Asian-inspired salads
- Rice bowls or wraps
- Appetizers and snacks (either plain or with a dipping sauce)
- Or a simple meal combined with stir-fry veggies
It's neat how tofu takes on a whole new flavor and texture when baked.
Hot out of the oven, it's golden brown, soft, and tender.
Then as it cools, it becomes more dense and firm which holds up well in salads, rice bowls, etc.
For more inspiration, browse all tofu recipes.
Easy Baked Tofu
- 15 oz. extra-firm tofu
- 1/4 cup tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- Sesame seeds, sliced green onion, etc.
- Drain tofu and lightly press between towels to remove excess moisture (I use paper towels).
- Cut tofu in about 3/4″ cubes. Place in a shallow container where they will marinate. (I use an 8" x 8" glass baking dish.)
- In a small bowl, make the marinade: combine tamari, rice vinegar, maple syrup, garlic powder, and onion powder. Stir/whisk to combine.
- Pour marinade over tofu and gently toss to thoroughly coat.
- Cover and refrigerate to marinate for at least 30 minutes.*
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat. Place tofu on pan in a single, separated layer. (You will have leftover marinade. Spoon it over the top of the tofu cubes to maximize flavor.)
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until edges are golden brown, tossing halfway through.
- Serve immediately, or keep refrigerated for about 4-5 days.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
For more tofu recipe inspiration, also check out: