Tofu marinated in an Asian-style garlic sauce that is packed with savory, delicious flavor! An easy dish that is perfect with a side of rice and steamed veggies.
This Asian-inspired garlic tofu is so simple, yet filled with flavor.
The tofu marinates in a sticky sweet sauce made with hoisin, garlic, and tamari.
If you are not familiar with hoisin sauce, it is like a thick, flavorful Asian-style BBQ sauce.
The first time I used it was for this Vegetable Lo Mein and knew I had to start working it into more meals. The flavor and texture is perfect for an easy marinade like this one.
Ingredients for Asian Garlic Tofu
For this recipe you will need:
- Extra-firm tofu
- Green onion (scallion)
- Toasted sesame oil
- Hoisin sauce
- Tamari (or soy sauce)
- Sesame seeds for serving if desired
How to Make
- First, remove excess liquid from tofu. (Either lightly press between towels, or use a tofu press if you have one.)
- Then prepare the garlic sauce in a shallow pan.
- Next, cube your tofu and toss in the garlic sauce.
- Then let it chill it in the fridge for 30+ minutes. The flavors will soak up & intensify. (No problem if you don't have time to marinate. The flavors won't be quite as bold, but it will still taste great.)
- Finally, heat on a skillet and enjoy!
- We enjoy pairing it with brown rice and broccoli.
Modify the sauce as you see fit. Freshly grated ginger is also lovely, or red pepper flakes for a spicy version.
For more inspiration, browse all Asian-inspired recipes.
Asian-Style Garlic Tofu
- 14 oz. extra-firm tofu
- 4 green onions
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
- Optional for serving: cooked brown rice, quinoa, noodles, sesame seeds for topping
For the Garlic Sauce:
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce (see notes for gluten-free)
- 2 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- Optional: freshly grated ginger
- Remove excess moisture from the tofu by gently pressing it between towels. Then cut it into bite-sized cubes. (I cut mine about 3/4-inch.) Set aside.
- Make the sauce: mince garlic. Then in a shallow pan (I use an 8x8" glass baking dish) add the three ingredients for the garlic sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add tofu cubes to the sauce and gently toss until thoroughly coated. (*Optional: if you have time, cover and refrigerate to marinate for at least 30 minutes or a few hours.)
- When ready, cook the tofu: in a medium/large skillet, heat sesame oil over medium heat.
- Once oil is hot, carefully add the marinated tofu (with any remaining sauce) and spread out the cubes in a single layer. Simmer and cook without stirring for 5-7 minutes or until lightly seared on one side. Flip, and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice green onions and add to the pan during the last 1-2 minutes of cooking. (Sometimes I add a little more hoisin or tamari if the pan becomes dry. The sauce should almost completely absorb into the tofu however.)
- Great served warm over brown rice/quinoa (and garnished with sesame seeds or more green onions if desired).
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Asian-style garlic tofu, also check out: