Fresh Asian-style broccoli with garlic sauce! A super easy Asian-inspired side dish featuring nutrient-packed broccoli drenched in a savory garlic sauce. (Plus it's done in only 15 minutes!)
We love this quick and easy Asian-inspired side dish packed with flavor.
The smell is heavenly when the garlic sauce hits the pan. It may even convince the pickiest eaters that broccoli is in fact... delicious!
This recipe makes about 4 side servings. (However I find it to be pretty darn tasty so it usually ends up as 2-3 servings for us.)
Ingredients for Asian-Style Broccoli
- Fresh broccoli florets: I have only used fresh broccoli with this recipe, but a few readers have reported mild success with frozen broccoli. (However it won't be as crisp and the sauce will probably be more watery.)
- Fresh garlic cloves
- Toasted sesame oil: This adds tasty flavor, but see notes below for an oil-free option.
- Tamari: Or substitute soy sauce, but I use tamari for gluten-free. Be sure to use low sodium if desired. Coconut aminos could also work.
- Vegetable broth
- Cornstarch: This is used to help thicken the sauce, but use your own favorite thickener if desired.
Note: A little freshly grated ginger is also a great addition!
Grains: This dish is great served on it's own, or on top of a fluffy bed of cooked brown rice or quinoa.
Garnish: Top your bowl with sesame seeds if desired. Or you can sprinkle red pepper flakes for a little heat if desired.
Love broccoli? Also try this Broccoli Cashew Stir-Fry (a reader favorite!)
Broccoli with Asian-Style Garlic Sauce
- 4 cups broccoli florets (1 large bunch)
- 2 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil (*oil-free option below)
- Optional topping: sesame seeds, red pepper flakes
For the garlic sauce:
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch (or arrowroot or thickener of choice)
- Cut broccoli into bite-sized florets and set aside.
- Make the garlic sauce: mince garlic. Then in a small bowl, combine all sauce ingredients. Whisk to combine.
- In a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat, add sesame oil* and heat for a minute.
- Carefully add broccoli florets. Cook for about 4 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Then add garlic sauce. Stir well to coat broccoli.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, or until broccoli is desired tenderness. (The sauce will thicken and absorb into the broccoli.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Asian-style broccoli with garlic sauce, also check out: