Fluffy, golden cubes of baked tofu tossed in an easy, Asian-inspired Teriyaki sauce that's sweet, savory, and so delicious! One of our favorite tofu recipes. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free)
This quick & easy Asian-style Teriyaki Tofu is full of flavor and simple to make! I serve it on a bed of warm brown rice or quinoa, and steamed veggies on the side. Broccoli is an awesome pairing (or you could even serve it with this Broccoli Cashew Stir Fry).
It's a great recipe to make even for those who normally don't enjoy tofu because the sauce brings such huge flavor.
Ingredients for Teriyaki Tofu
For this recipe you will need:
- Extra-firm tofu
- Tamari (or soy sauce)
- Pure maple syrup (or brown sugar)
- Vegetable broth (or water)
- Rice vinegar (I use unseasoned vinegar)
- Fresh ginger
- Cornstarch (or other thickener of choice)
How to Make
To make this recipe, simply:
- Remove excess moisture from tofu, cut in cubes, then bake
- Whisk together the flavorful Teriyaki Sauce
- Toss the sauce and baked tofu cubes together in a warm skillet
It's best enjoyed the same day as the leftovers don't reheat very well.
Teriyaki Baked Tofu
- 14 oz. extra-firm tofu
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- 1/4 cup tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup (or brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar (I use unseasoned)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp. ginger (freshly grated)
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch (or arrowroot or other thickener)
For serving (optional):
- Brown rice, quinoa, sliced green onions, sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Gently squeeze some excess liquid from the tofu. (I place mine between a couple kitchen towels and lightly press down for about 15 seconds.)
- Cut tofu into about 3/4-inch cubes and place in single file on baking sheet.
- Bake tofu 25-30 minutes, flipping/stirring halfway through.
- While tofu is baking, place all teriyaki ingredients in a bowl and whisk well to combine.
- When there’s about 5-10 minutes baking time remaining for the tofu, start warming the teriyaki sauce: whisk teriyaki sauce once more and add to a medium skillet over med-high heat. Stir occasionally with a spatula.
- When tofu is done baking, carefully add the baked cubes to skillet with teriyaki sauce.
- Stir frequently to thoroughly coat the tofu cubes until sauce thickens (about 5-6 minutes).
- Serve as is, or with rice, quinoa, in veggie bowls, with stir-fry, etc.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
For more tofu inspiration, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this! (Also please leave a review and star rating below if you give it a try - your feedback is always greatly appreciated. Thank you!)