Asian-inspired vegan veggie fried rice recipe with an assortment of beautiful rainbow colors. An easy weeknight meal - just add some edamame or tofu on the side!
This easy vegan Veggie Fried Rice recipe is a plant-based rainbow!
There are so many vibrant colors (but feel free to include your own favorite vegetables or whatever is in season).
For a protein boost, add tempeh, edamame, or cashews. We also enjoy flavorful tofu on the side:
For this vegetable fried rice you will need:
- Brown rice: It is best to cook the rice ahead of time and let it chill in the fridge before preparing the fried rice.
- Red bell pepper
- Red onion
- Sweet corn
- Toasted sesame oil
- Tamari or soy sauce
Tips for Better Fried Rice
- Use cold rice. If you cook the rice ahead of time, it's not only an awesome time-saver, but it makes the fried rice much less soggy. Just make the rice in advance and cool it in the fridge for at least a couple hours or overnight.
- Use minimal oil and liquids while cooking. I enjoy the taste of sesame oil so I'm always tempted to pour more, but for fried rice less is better. I find 1 teaspoon is plenty to get all my veggies cooking while not weighing it down and turning it to mush. The same goes for tamari/soy sauce. Use just a little while cooking, and add more to taste right before serving.
- Thoroughly let it fry. Make sure you take some time to thoroughly fry the rice at the end to achieve the beautiful light golden brown color. This also gives a chance for all the flavors to combine.
For more inspiration, browse all Asian-inspired recipes.
Rainbow Veggie Fried Rice
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice (uncooked)
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 1/2 cups peas (I use frozen)
- 1 cup sweet corn (I use frozen)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- Cook the rice ahead of time according to package instructions. When cool, transfer to a sealed container in the fridge to chill for a couple hours/overnight.*
- Dice carrots, bell pepper, onion, and mince garlic.
- In a large wok or pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tsp. sesame oil. Let heat for a minute.
- When oil is hot, carefully add onion, carrots, and bell pepper. Stirring often, sauté for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add peas and corn. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add rice and 3 Tbsp. tamari (more/less as needed). Stirring occasionally, cook for about 5 minutes. Serve with additional tamari or sesame seeds if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Vegetable Fried Rice, also check out:
- Broccoli with Asian Garlic Sauce
- Vegetable Lo Mein
- Asian Garlic Green Beans
- Quinoa Veggie Stir-Fry
- Asian Toasted Quinoa with Mushrooms
- Hoisin Roasted Green Beans
- Asparagus and Mushroom Stir-Fry