An Asian-inspired vegan Veggie Fried Rice recipe with beautiful rainbow colored vegetables. This makes an easy weeknight meal - just add some edamame or tofu on the side!
This vegan Veggie Fried Rice recipe is like a beautiful plant-based rainbow!
There are so many vibrant colors. (But of course feel free to include your own favorite vegetables or whatever is in season.)
It's an easy family-friendly meal that works great for lunch or dinner.
Ingredients for Rainbow Fried Rice
For this recipe you will sauté in a wok or pan on the stove:
- Brown rice: It's best to cook the rice ahead of time and let it chill in the fridge before preparing the fried rice. I use organic brown basmati rice, but you could also use white rice if desired.
- Red bell pepper: Or you can use yellow bell pepper or orange bell pepper.
- Red onion: Or substitute white onion or yellow onion, but I use red onion for the purple color since this is a rainbow fried rice.
- Peas: For convenience, I use frozen green peas for this recipe. There's no need to defrost them before adding to the pan.
- Sweet corn: Either frozen, canned, of cooked fresh.
- Fresh garlic cloves: We will use about four cloves for this recipe. But you can use more or less depending on how much you like the flavor.
- Toasted sesame oil
- Tamari: Or substitute soy sauce, but I use tamari for gluten-free. Coconut aminos also works great. Be sure to use low sodium if needed.
Tips for Better Fried Rice
Use cold rice. If you cook the rice ahead of time, it's not only an awesome time-saver, but it makes the fried rice much less soggy. Cook the rice in advance, then let it cool in the fridge for at least a couple hours.
Use minimal oil and liquids while cooking. I enjoy the taste of toasted sesame oil, but for fried rice less is better. I find one teaspoon is plenty to get all my veggies cooking while not weighing it down and turning it to mush. The same goes for tamari/soy sauce. Use just a little while cooking, and add more to taste right before serving.
Let it fry thoroughly. Take the time to thoroughly fry your rice at the end to achieve the beautiful light golden brown color. This also allows all the flavors to combine.
Flavors: Change up the taste how you see fit. Add freshly grated ginger, more garlic, red pepper flakes, black pepper, rice wine vinegar, hoisin sauce, or anything else that sounds good.
Vegetables: Change up the veggies based on your own favorites or what's in season. Include snow peas, cabbage, spinach, cauliflower, mushrooms, mung bean sprouts, etc.
Garnish: Top your bowl with sriracha hot sauce, green onions (scallions), or sesame seeds before serving if desired.
Add a protein! Serve this dish with cashews, peanuts, tempeh, edamame, tofu, vegan egg or Eggy Tofu, vegan chicken strips, vegan beef, etc. We enjoy flavorful tofu on the side like this Asian Garlic Tofu, Teriyaki Baked Tofu, or Easy Baked Tofu.
For more inspiration, also browse all Asian-inspired recipes.
Rainbow Veggie Fried Rice
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice (uncooked)
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 1/2 cups peas (I use frozen)
- 1 cup sweet corn (I use frozen)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- Cook the rice ahead of time according to package instructions. When cool, transfer to a sealed container in the fridge to chill for a couple hours/overnight.*
- Dice carrots, bell pepper, onion, and mince garlic.
- In a large wok or pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tsp. sesame oil. Let heat for a minute.
- When oil is hot, carefully add onion, carrots, and bell pepper. Stirring often, sauté for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add peas and corn. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add rice and 3 Tbsp. tamari (more/less as needed). Stirring occasionally, cook for about 5 minutes. Serve with additional tamari or sesame seeds if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this Vegetable Rainbow Fried Rice recipe, also check out:
- Broccoli with Asian Garlic Sauce
- Vegetable Lo Mein
- Asian Garlic Green Beans
- Quinoa Veggie Stir-Fry
- Asparagus and Mushroom Stir-Fry