An Asian-inspired vegan Veggie Fried Rice recipe with beautiful rainbow colored vegetables. This makes an easy weeknight meal - just add some edamame or tofu on the side!
This easy vegan Veggie Fried Rice recipe is a beautiful plant-based rainbow!
There are so many vibrant colors. (But of course feel free to include your own favorite vegetables or whatever is in season.)
For this vegetable fried rice you will need:
- Brown rice: It is best to cook the rice ahead of time and let it chill in the fridge before preparing the fried rice. I use brown, but you could also use white rice if desired.
- Red bell pepper: Or yellow bell pepper or orange bell pepper.
- Red onion
- Peas: I use frozen green peas for this recipe.
- Sweet corn: Either frozen, canned, of cooked fresh.
- Garlic cloves
- Toasted sesame oil
- Tamari: Or substitute soy sauce, but I use tamari for gluten-free.
Tips for Better Fried Rice
- Use cold rice. If you cook the rice ahead of time, it's not only an awesome time-saver, but it makes the fried rice much less soggy. Just make the rice in advance and cool it in the fridge for at least a couple hours or overnight.
- Use minimal oil and liquids while cooking. I enjoy the taste of sesame oil so I'm always tempted to pour more, but for fried rice less is better. I find 1 teaspoon is plenty to get all my veggies cooking while not weighing it down and turning it to mush. The same goes for tamari/soy sauce. Use just a little while cooking, and add more to taste right before serving.
- Thoroughly let it fry. Make sure you take some time to thoroughly fry the rice at the end to achieve the beautiful light golden brown color. This also gives a chance for all the flavors to combine.
For a protein boost, add tempeh, edamame, or cashews. We also enjoy flavorful tofu on the side:
For more inspiration, browse all Asian-inspired recipes.
Rainbow Veggie Fried Rice
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice (uncooked)
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 1/2 cups peas (I use frozen)
- 1 cup sweet corn (I use frozen)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp. tamari (or soy sauce)
- Cook the rice ahead of time according to package instructions. When cool, transfer to a sealed container in the fridge to chill for a couple hours/overnight.*
- Dice carrots, bell pepper, onion, and mince garlic.
- In a large wok or pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tsp. sesame oil. Let heat for a minute.
- When oil is hot, carefully add onion, carrots, and bell pepper. Stirring often, sauté for about 5-7 minutes.
- Add peas and corn. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add rice and 3 Tbsp. tamari (more/less as needed). Stirring occasionally, cook for about 5 minutes. Serve with additional tamari or sesame seeds if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Vegetable Fried Rice, also check out:
- Broccoli with Asian Garlic Sauce
- Vegetable Lo Mein
- Asian Garlic Green Beans
- Quinoa Veggie Stir-Fry
- Asian Toasted Quinoa with Mushrooms
- Hoisin Roasted Green Beans
- Asparagus and Mushroom Stir-Fry