A 30 minute Asian-inspired vegan Vegetable Lo Mein recipe with secret ingredient - hoisin sauce! Satisfying, easy to prepare, and a great lunch or dinner.
This satisfying Vegetable Lo Mein is quick & easy to prepare. It's a great takeout dish, but made right at home.
The "secret ingredient" hoisin sauce makes it taste extra-flavorful.
If you are not familiar with hoisin sauce, it is kind of like a thick, Chinese-style BBQ sauce. (Yum!) I find it in the Asian food section of our grocery stores.
It provides great flavor and texture to the lo mein sauce.
Ingredients for Vegetable Lo Mein
For this recipe you will need:
- Vegan lo mein noodles: Or spaghetti, linguine, rice noodles, ramen noodles, etc. Traditional lo mein noodles are usually wheat or egg noodles, so be sure to find a vegan and gluten-free alternative if needed.
- Red onion
- Bell pepper: I use yellow, but orange bell peppers or red bell peppers will work.
- Mushrooms: I use cremini, but white button, shiitake mushrooms, portobello, or other varieties work well.
- Green onion (scallion)
- Garlic cloves
- Hoisin sauce: Use a gluten-free brand if desired.
- Tamari: Or soy sauce, but I use tamari for gluten-free.
- Toasted sesame oil
Veggies: Broccoli, baby bok choy, mung bean sprouts, asparagus, celery, cabbage, spinach, snow peas, etc.
Ginger: You can also add freshly grated ginger.
Oil-free: For an oil-free version, simply omit the sesame oil and sauté with vegetable broth or water instead. (You will lose a little flavor but it works just fine.)
Make it "meaty": Add your favorite vegan beef strips, vegan chicken, etc.
Make it spicy: Add red pepper flakes or sriracha before serving if desired.
Garnish: Top your bowl with fresh cilantro, peanuts, cashews, or sesame seeds.
Tofu or tempeh: Pair this noodle dish with a protein like cooked tempeh, or our favorite Easy Baked Tofu.
For more inspiration, browse all easy vegan dinner recipes.
Vegetable Lo Mein
- 8 oz. lo mein noodles (or spaghetti, linguini, rice noodles, etc.)
- 1 small red onion
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 carrot
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 5 green onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce (gluten-free if desired*)
- 1 Tbsp. tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil (optional - see oil-free version in notes)
- Cilantro, peanuts, cashews, sesame seeds
- Cook noodles according to package instructions, leaving al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, slice mushrooms, red onion, bell pepper, and green onion. Julienne/shred carrot. Mince garlic.
- In a wok or large pan over medium-high heat, add sesame oil (if using).
- Once oil is hot, carefully add mushrooms, red onion, bell pepper, and carrots. Sauté for about 4-5 minutes, or until veggies are crisp-tender.
- Add green onions and garlic. Cook 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Add noodles (cooked and drained), hoisin, and tamari. Gently stir to combine and heat for 1-2 minutes. (Fresh greens like baby spinach are lovely stirred in during the last couple minutes as well.)
- Top with any desired garnishes or more tamari to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Vegan Vegetable Lo Mein recipe, also check out:
- Teriyaki Vegetable Stir Fry
- Spring Roll Bowls with Peanut Sauce
- Creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Mushroom Pasta
- Hoisin Peanut Noodles (15 Minute)