30 minute Asian-inspired vegan Vegetable Lo Mein with secret ingredient - hoisin sauce! Satisfying, easy to prepare, and a great lunch or dinner.
This delicious and satisfying Vegetable Lo Mein is both quick & easy to prepare.
The "secret ingredient" hoisin sauce makes it an extra-flavorful meal.
If you are not familiar with hoisin sauce, it is kind of like a thick, Chinese-style BBQ sauce.
It provides great flavor and texture to this dish.
Ingredients for Vegetable Lo Mein
For this recipe you will need:
- Lo mein noodles: Or spaghetti, linguine, rice noodles, etc.
- Red onion
- Bell pepper: I use yellow, but orange or red will work.
- Mushrooms: I use cremini, but white button or any other variety work well.
- Green onion (scallion)
- Hoisin sauce: Use a gluten-free brand if desired.
- Tamari: Or soy sauce.
- Toasted sesame oil
This is a great recipe because it works with a wide variety of vegetables.
There are some ideas below, so swap in whatever veggies are in season or are available.
You can also pair this dish with our favorite Easy Baked Tofu!
For more inspiration, browse all Asian-inspired recipes.
Vegetable Lo Mein
- 8 oz. lo mein noodles (or spaghetti, linguini, rice noodles, etc.)
- 1 small red onion
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 carrot
- 8 oz. mushrooms
- 5 green onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce (gluten-free if desired*)
- 1 Tbsp. tamari or soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil (optional - see oil-free version in notes)
- Cilantro, peanuts, cashews, sesame seeds
- Cook noodles according to package instructions, leaving al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, slice mushrooms, red onion, bell pepper, and green onion. Julienne/shred carrot. Mince garlic.
- In a wok or large pan over medium-high heat, add sesame oil (if using).
- Once oil is hot, carefully add mushrooms, red onion, bell pepper, and carrots. Sauté for about 4-5 minutes, or until veggies are crisp-tender.
- Add green onions and garlic. Cook 1 minute, stirring continuously.
- Add noodles (cooked and drained), hoisin, and tamari. Gently stir to combine and heat for 1-2 minutes. (Fresh greens like baby spinach are lovely stirred in during the last couple minutes as well.)
- Top with any desired garnishes or more tamari to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Vegan Vegetable Lo Mein, also check out: