This vegan Creamy Mushroom Pasta combines flavorful sun-dried tomato, fresh garlic, and spinach in an easy sauce made with cashew milk. This satisfying dish is simple to prepare and only 30 minutes. It is great for lunch or dinner! (Gluten-free option.)
Let's make a pan of vegan Creamy Mushroom Tomato Pasta!
This satisfying pasta dish combines flavorful sun-dried tomatoes, fresh garlic, and spinach.
Plus it comes together in just 30 minutes for an easy lunch or dinner.
To simplify the cream sauce, we won't be soaking whole cashews or needing to blend anything in a blender. Instead, we will use a shortcut with cashew milk and cheesy nutritional yeast!
For this recipe you will toss together in a large skillet:
- Penne pasta: Or use your own favorite shape such as fusilli, fettuccine, linguine, etc. Use gluten-free pasta if desired. (I like brown rice + quinoa pasta.)
- Mushrooms: I use cremini mushrooms, but use your own favorite. Shiitake mushrooms, portobello mushrooms, oyster, or white button would work well.
- Sun-dried tomatoes: I use dry packed sun-dried tomatoes. (Most often I buy the "Mediterranean Organic" brand which come in a 3 ounce bag.) But an oil-packed jar of sun-dried tomatoes works as well.
- Fresh garlic cloves
- Cashew milk: Be sure to use plain and unsweetened milk. You can also substitute another dairy-free milk if you wish such as soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, etc.
- Vegetable broth: Use low sodium if desired.
- Nutritional yeast: This gives the sauce a rich, cheesy, savory flavor.
- Garlic powder
- Fresh basil: Or your own favorite fresh herbs like parsley or thyme.
- Fresh spinach: Or substitute with other greens like kale or arugula.
Flavors: Change it up with your own variations. Add fresh lemon juice, Kalamata olives, more fresh herbs, or different greens such as arugula for a peppery taste.
Vegetables: Add other veggies to the mix like onion, grape tomatoes, asparagus, shallot, roasted bell pepper, peas, cauliflower, etc.
Vegan sausage: Pair this with your favorite vegan deli sausage for even more plant-based protein and fiber. (I like the "Field Roast" brand Smoked Apple Sage sausage.)
Looking for more inspiration? Try this creamy Mushroom Pesto Pasta as well!
Garnish: Top your bowl with Vegan Parmesan Cheese, pine nuts, or herbs like basil or fresh parsley before serving if desired. (Or salt and black pepper to taste if needed.) If you like it spicy, sprinkle on some red pepper flakes.
Pairing: This pasta is great served on its own, with a side salad, or toasted sourdough bread.
This creamy vegan mushroom pasta is best served the same day since the pasta tends to soak up the sauce. However if you'd like to store leftovers, place them in an airtight container in the fridge. Then reheat in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan pasta & noodle recipes.
Vegan Creamy Mushroom Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomato
- 8 oz. penne pasta (gluten-free if desired)
- 8 oz. mushrooms (I use cremini)
- 1/2 cup diced sun-dried tomatoes*
- 3-5 cloves garlic
- 1 1/2 cups cashew milk (plain, unsweetened)
- 2/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp. fresh basil
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach (or arugula, etc.)
- Salt/pepper to taste
Toppings for serving (optional):
- Fresh basil or parsley, kalamata olives, vegan parmesan
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, leaving al dente (tender, not mushy). Drain when finished.
- Meanwhile, slice the mushrooms.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté mushrooms for about 7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/veggie broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and dice sun-dried tomatoes (yielding about 1/2 cup diced tomatoes).
- Add garlic and sun-dried tomatoes to the skillet. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add cashew milk, broth, nutritional yeast, and garlic powder. Stir well to combine.
- Heat 3-4 minutes or until lightly simmering.
- Meanwhile, chop/julienne the basil.
- Add basil and drained pasta to the skillet. Toss well and heat for 5-10 minutes or until the pasta has absorbed most of the sauce. (The sauce will be thin at first, but will thicken upon heating and even more after sitting.)
- Stir in spinach during last couple minutes to wilt. Salt/pepper to taste.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan creamy mushroom sun-dried tomato pasta recipe, also feel free to check out: