Easy vegan Teriyaki Stir-Fry with vegetables and optional tempeh protein addition. Tossed in a sweet and savory homemade teriyaki sauce. Plus it is simple to personalize with your own favorite veggies!
This Teriyaki Stir-Fry (with optional tempeh) is a satisfying lunch, dinner, or meal prep.
We simply combine fresh vegetables in pan, then toss it with a sweet and savory Asian-inspired teriyaki sauce.
It only takes about 40 minutes to make, and it's high in plant-based protein and fiber.
It's a great change of pace from one of our other favorites: Broccoli Cashew Stir Fry!
Ingredients for Teriyaki Stir-Fry
For the stir-fry portion you will toss together in a large skillet:
- Fresh broccoli florets
- Red bell pepper: Or other color like yellow or orange bell pepper.
- Yellow summer squash: Or substitute zucchini.
- Fresh asparagus
- Mushrooms: Most often I use cremini, but any variety should work with this recipe such as white button, portobello, shiitake, etc.
- Green onions (scallions)
- Tempeh (optional): Some tempeh patties includes other grains, so if you need gluten-free, be sure yours is 100% soy (or gluten-free friendly).
For the teriyaki sauce you will whisk together in a bowl or jar:
- Tamari: Or substitute soy sauce or coconut aminos. I use tamari for gluten-free.
- Brown sugar: Or pure maple syrup.
- Vegetable broth: Be sure to use low sodium if desired.
- Rice vinegar: I use unseasoned. (Seasoned rice vinegar contains added sugar and salt.)
- Garlic cloves: I like the flavor of fresh garlic in this recipe, but you can substitute with dried garlic powder if needed.
- Fresh ginger: Use as much or as little as you prefer.
- Cornstarch: This is used to thicken the sauce.
This recipe is very versatile so change it up how you see fit. A few ideas include:
Vegetables: Add other veggies to the mixture such as carrots, snow peas, snap peas, bok choy, celery, etc. Simply use about 8 cups diced/chopped fresh veggies in place of the ones listed in the recipe. (Or even closer to 9-10 cups if not including the tempeh.)
Sesame oil: I prepare this recipe oil-free, but you could easily add up to 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil to the pan before you sauté the veggies. This adds some extra flavor.
No tempeh? Feel free to omit the tempeh and simply prepare the sauce as usual.
Pairing: Serve this stir fry as is, or paired with brown rice, quinoa, or noodles. It's also great with some Easy Baked Tofu.
Add nuts: Cashews or peanuts are also a wonderful addition before serving (especially if you are omitting the tempeh).
Garnish: I like to garnish my dish with sesame seeds before serving.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge, then simply reheat in the microwave. We find the leftovers keep for about 3-4 days.
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan Asian-inspired recipes.
Teriyaki Vegetable Stir-Fry
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow summer squash (or zucchini)
- 4 oz. asparagus (woody stems removed)
- 4 oz. mushrooms (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3-4 green onions
- 8 oz. tempeh (optional)
- Optional garnish: sesame seeds, cashews, peanuts, green onions
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- 1/4 cup tamari (or soy sauce, coconut aminos)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar (or 3 Tbsp. maple syrup)
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. ginger, freshly grated (I peel my ginger)
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch (or arrowroot or other thickener*)
- If serving with rice, quinoa, or noodles, begin cooking that first so it's ready when the stir fry is done.
- Make the teriyaki sauce: in a small bowl, add all sauce ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Tempeh option: if using tempeh, cut into bite-sized pieces and add to bowl with teriyaki sauce. Toss well to coat and set aside to marinate. (Simply omit this step if not using tempeh.)
- Prepare your vegetables: cut broccoli into florets. Dice bell pepper, squash, and asparagus into about 1" pieces. Slice mushrooms.
- In a large skillet/wok over medium-high heat, add 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth. (For no-oil stir fry method.) When hot, carefully add broccoli and mushrooms. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, squash, and asparagus. Stir and sauté 4-5 more minutes. (Add a splash more water/broth if the pan dries out and starts sticking.)
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Gently stir the tempeh in teriyaki sauce and add to skillet. Stir well to combine and heat for 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened and veggies are desired tenderness.
- Meanwhile, slice green onions. Add during the last couple minutes of cooking.
- Serve with desired rice, quinoa, noodles, or topped with sesame seeds, cashews/peanuts, etc.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan Teriyaki Tempeh and Vegetable Stir Fry, also check out: