Easy vegan Teriyaki Stir-Fry with vegetables and a sweet & savory homemade teriyaki sauce. Includes optional tempeh protein addition, plus simple to personalize with your own favorite veggies!
This Teriyaki Stir-Fry (with optional tempeh) is a satisfying lunch or dinner that also only takes about 40 minutes to make. It has a fresh medley of vegetables, then is tossed in a sweet & savory Asian-inspired teriyaki sauce.
Plus it's also oil-free and a great change of pace from one of our other stir fry favorites - Broccoli Cashew Stir Fry!
How to Marinate Tempeh
Tempeh is optional in this dish, but it's a great source of protein and easy to prepare:
- Make a batch of easy Teriyaki Sauce.
- Cut the tempeh into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine them together in a bowl and stir to coat.
- Set aside to marinate while you prepare the rest of the vegetables.
If not using tempeh, simply omit and prepare the sauce as usual.
Customize Your Teriyaki Stir-Fry
This recipe is super versatile with your own favorite vegetables. Simply use about 8 cups diced/chopped fresh veggies in place of the ones listed in the recipe. (Or even closer to 9-10 cups if not including the tempeh.)
Serve this stir fry as is, paired with brown rice, quinoa, noodles, or even some Easy Baked Tofu. Cashews or peanuts are also a wonderful addition before serving (especially if you omit the tempeh).
Teriyaki Vegetable Stir-Fry
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow summer squash (or zucchini)
- 4 oz. asparagus (woody stems removed)
- 4 oz. mushrooms (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3-4 green onions
- 8 oz. tempeh (optional)
- Optional garnish: sesame seeds, cashews, peanuts, green onions
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- 1/4 cup tamari (or soy sauce, coconut aminos)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. brown sugar (or 3 Tbsp. maple syrup)
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 tsp. rice vinegar
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. ginger, freshly grated (I peel my ginger)
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch (or arrowroot or other thickener*)
- If serving with rice, quinoa, or noodles, begin cooking that first so it's ready when the stir fry is done.
- Make the teriyaki sauce: in a small bowl, add all sauce ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Tempeh option: if using tempeh, cut into bite-sized pieces and add to bowl with teriyaki sauce. Toss well to coat and set aside to marinate. (Simply omit this step if not using tempeh.)
- Prepare your vegetables: cut broccoli into florets. Dice bell pepper, squash, and asparagus into about 1" pieces. Slice mushrooms.
- In a large skillet/wok over medium-high heat, add 1/4 cup water or vegetable broth. (For no-oil stir fry method.) When hot, carefully add broccoli and mushrooms. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, squash, and asparagus. Stir and sauté 4-5 more minutes. (Add a splash more water/broth if the pan dries out and starts sticking.)
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Gently stir the tempeh in teriyaki sauce and add to skillet. Stir well to combine and heat for 5 minutes or until sauce has thickened and veggies are desired tenderness.
- Meanwhile, slice green onions. Add during the last couple minutes of cooking.
- Serve with desired rice, quinoa, noodles, or topped with sesame seeds, cashews/peanuts, etc.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you're enjoying this vegan Teriyaki Tempeh & Vegetable Stir Fry, also check out:
Come join The Garden Grazer on Instagram and then share a photo if you make or adapt this recipe! (Also please leave a review and star rating below if you give it a try. Your feedback is always very appreciated - thank you!)