A thick and chocolatey healthy Chunky Monkey Vegan Protein Smoothie. It's naturally sweetened and has 20 grams of plant protein... with NO protein powder!
This vegan chocolate chunky monkey smoothie is super luxurious, and full of plant-based protein. With no protein powder!
One cup soy milk and 2 tablespoons peanut butter have about 8 grams of protein each.
Then the antioxidant-rich cacao powder adds another 3 grams. Even the banana adds about a gram, which brings the total to 20 grams protein.
It provides sustaining energy, and is also pretty healthy but tastes like an indulgent dessert.
Ingredients for Chunky Monkey Smoothie
For this recipe you will blend in a blender:
- Soy milk: Or other dairy-free milk of choice such as almond milk, cashew milk, etc.
- Ripe banana: Try to find one that is very ripe or over ripe. (The more brown spots, the sweeter it will be.) You can also use frozen bananas for a creamier texture as well.
- Peanut butter: I use creamy and natural peanut butter. I haven't tested this with other nut butters such as almond butter or sun butter, but I'm guessing they would work great too.
- Cacao powder: Or substitute unsweetened cocoa powder. This is what provides the rich chocolate taste.
- Pure maple syrup: This is a great natural sweetener with tasty maple flavor. But feel free to substitute dates or your own favorite sweetener if desired.
Cacao: Studies show raw cacao (pronounced "ca-COW") is an antioxidant powerhouse. Plus it is rich in iron, magnesium, calcium, and is also a natural mood elevator.
Vanilla + almond extract: We enjoy ours with a little vanilla and almond extract added to the mixture for more flavor.
More protein: If you would like to add even more protein, go ahead and include one scoop chocolate protein powder.
Garnish: Enjoy as is, or top your glass with cacao nibs, vegan chocolate chips, or even coconut whipped cream before serving.
Versatile: This healthy smoothie is great as a quick protein-rich breakfast, mid-day boost, or post-workout snack.
Make it a smoothie bowl! You can also enjoy this as a smoothie bowl with Peanut Butter Granola, coconut flakes, sliced banana, or your own favorite toppings.
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan smoothie recipes.
Chunky Monkey Protein Smoothie
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 very ripe banana (frozen if possible)
- 2 Tbsp. peanut butter (creamy, natural)
- 2 Tbsp. cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup (or dates or other sweetener)
- Optional: 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/8 tsp. almond extract, 1 tsp. maca powder, ice cubes
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust if necessary.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this healthy vegan Chunky Monkey Protein Smoothie, also check out:
- Bedtime Golden Turmeric Milk
- Vegan Almond Maple Cookies
- Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats
- Healthy Vegan Chocolate Milkshake