An easy 5-minute healthy vegan cake shake! It tastes deliciously indulgent like vanilla cake batter but is actually made with healthy ingredients and has over 12 grams protein. (Gluten-free, oil-free.)
This is such an awesome (healthier!) treat with over 12 grams protein and just 6 simple ingredients.
It tastes deliciously indulgent, yet has healthy ingredients and is pleasantly filling.
This was a really fun recipe to test. It took a few trials to get right, but I heard no complaints from my husband or 5 year old daughter (my official taste testers) as I overflowed them with my best attempts at cake-tasting drinks this past month.
We all agreed this was the winner!
Ingredients for Vegan Cake Shake
For this recipe you will blend in a blender:
- Soy milk: Or substitute with any other dairy-free milk like almond milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, oat milk, etc. I use plain and unsweetened milk so be sure to adjust the other flavors if yours is sweetened.
- Ripe banana: Try to find one with lots of brown spots because these are much more naturally sweet. Frozen banana works great and is recommended if you have it. This will help make the smoothie creamier. Otherwise fresh works just fine too.
- Almond butter: This adds some protein, fiber, and creamy thickness to the smoothie. I find the taste of almond butter is pretty mild (compared to peanut butter or other seed butters) so it blends in really nicely here.
- Pure maple syrup: This is a fantastic natural sweetener, but feel free to substitute your own favorite sweetener like dates.
- Vanilla extract
- Pure almond extract: For me, this is what gives it that classic "cake" taste. Almond extract is strong, so a little goes a long way.
Want more protein? Simply add a small scoop of your favorite vanilla protein powder to the mix before blending!
Toppings: Make it festive with a dollop of Coco Whip and vegan sprinkles if you would like!
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan smoothie recipes.
Healthy Vegan Cake Shake
- 3/4 cup organic soy milk (or other plant milk)
- 1 very ripe banana (frozen recommended)
- 1 3/4 Tbsp. almond butter
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. pure almond extract
- Optional toppings: coconut whipped cream (coco whip!) and vegan sprinkles (I use Let’s Do Organic Sprinkelz confetti)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Top with coco whip and sprinkles before serving if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this healthy Vegan Cake Shake recipe, also check out:
- Chocolate Cherry Almond Smoothie
- Bedtime Golden Turmeric Milk
- Healthy Vegan Chocolate Milkshake
- Vegan Almond Maple Cookies
Follow The Garden Grazer on Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook for more updates and inspiration.
Just made this! One of the tastiest drinks I’ve ever had! It really does taste like cake batter! Thank you for another great recipe.
So great to hear - thank you!