This healthier Vegan Chocolate Milkshake is made with just 4 simple ingredients. Plus it only takes 2 minutes to make! It's deliciously creamy and smooth. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This easy vegan chocolate milkshake is so creamy, smooth, and luxurious.
It tastes like an indulgent treat, but has just four simple, healthy ingredients.
Plus it comes together in just 2 minutes!
What makes it a "healthier" milkshake is using whole food banana instead of processed, sugar-filled ice cream. But it's still rich and creamy!
Ingredients for Vegan Chocolate Milkshake
For this recipe you will blend in a high-speed blender:
- Plant-based milk: Most often I use homemade cashew milk, but any dairy-free milk will work. Soy milk, almond milk, etc.
- Banana: Frozen banana works best to achieve a thicker, creamier consistency. But you can use fresh if you don't have frozen on hand. Be sure to use a ripe banana with lots of brown spots because those are much sweeter.
- Cacao powder: Or simply substitute cocoa powder. Most often I use "Navitas Organics" brand raw cacao powder. It is an unprocessed version of the cacao bean, and contains antioxidants & flavanols, iron, fiber, magnesium, and other minerals. (Be aware that it does contain some caffeine however.)
- Pure maple syrup: Or your own favorite sweetener such as pitted dates, agave nectar, etc.
Add protein powder: A sweet lady named Catarine left a comment on this recipe that she swaps out the cacao powder for a vegan chocolate protein powder for her 4 year old daughter's breakfast and I love that idea!
Looking for more? Check out these fudgy Chocolate Banana Popsicles made with similar ingredients!
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan drink & beverage recipes.
Healthy Vegan Chocolate Milkshake
- 1 cup plant milk
- 1 ripe banana (frozen if possible*)
- 2 Tbsp. cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup (or pitted dates to sweeten)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/8 tsp. almond extract, protein powder, 2-3 ice cubes
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust if necessary.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this healthy vegan chocolate milkshake recipe, also check out: