These vegan + gluten-free Almond Flour Cookies are only 4 ingredients (plus salt) and naturally sweetened with maple syrup. Quick + simple to make in under 30 minutes! Great for a healthier dessert or holiday enjoyment. (Oil-free.)
These 4-ingredient vegan Almond Flour Cookies are naturally sweetened with maple syrup, and are quick + easy to make. (Less than 30 minutes!)
They are slightly crispy around the edges, and chewy + tender on the inside. The taste is rich and buttery (without the butter) and so delicious.
Plus they are vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, and refined sugar-free.
They're a great option for a healthier dessert or holiday enjoyment.
Ingredients for Vegan Almond Cookies
For this recipe you will combine in a bowl:
- Almond flour: I use Bob's Red Mill super-fine natural almond flour (also called almond meal). I have not tested this with blanched almond flour but that should work too. See more details below on almond flour.
- Pure maple syrup: This is a tasty natural sweetener, plus it helps bind the dough together.
- Ground cinnamon: I use Ceylon cinnamon. But if you don't care for cinnamon, you can simply omit it.
- Baking powder: I use Bob's Red Mill double acting baking powder with no added aluminum. Be sure yours is fresh and not expired for proper leavening (rising).
- Salt: I use fine-grain salt for this recipe.
A teaspoon vanilla extract can be added as well (or even a very small splash of almond extract).
Optional toppings: Press down vegan chocolate chips or nuts on top of the cookie dough before baking in the oven if desired.
What is Almond Flour?
Almond flour is made from ground almonds. It is slightly sweeter and has a nuttier flavor than regular flour. It has a delightful buttery taste and texture.
You will have two choices when purchasing almond flour. You can either buy unblanched or blanched:
- Unblanched, also called natural, uses the entire unpeeled almond including the skin. Unblanched almond flour is a brown color. I use this type which you'll notice gives the cookies a golden brown, speckled look.
- Blanched means that the almond skins have been peeled and removed. If you use this kind of flour, your cookies will be more of a white color. (Again, I have not tested this flour, but it should work.)
Preparing + Tips
Oil-free baking: Simply line a baking sheet or pan with parchment paper (or Silpat mat) for easy non-stick baking.
Forming cookies: You will use a flat-bottomed glass to lightly press down each ball to form your cookie shapes. (I use a small piece of parchment paper in between the glass and cookie dough to prevent sticking.)
Preparing cookie dough in advance: You can also make the dough ahead of time and store the dough ball in the fridge until ready to bake.
Once they have fully cooled, store cookies in an airtight container on the counter.
We find they keep for about 3-4 days (but they never seem to last that long!)
You can also store them in the refrigerator for about 5-7 days.
Vegan Almond Maple Cookies
- 2 cups almond flour*
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon (or up to 1 tsp.)
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. fine grain salt
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1-2 tsp. pure vanilla extract (optional)
- Vegan chocolate chips or nuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- In a medium bowl, add all dry ingredients. Stir.
- Slowly add maple syrup (and optional vanilla), while stirring to combine. Stir well with a spatula until a sticky ball forms.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or Silpat).
- Scoop out rounded tablespoons of dough and form small balls about 1.25" in size. (Lightly wet hands to prevent sticking.) Place on baking sheet.
- Gently press down each ball with a flat-bottomed glass to flatten cookie to about 2" diameter. (I place a piece of parchment paper between the glass and cookie to prevent sticking.) Then press down chocolate chips or nuts on top (optional).
- Bake for 11-13 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes to firm up. Then transfer cookies to a cooling rack.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this recipe for Vegan Almond Flour Maple Cookies with cinnamon, also check out:
- Chocolate Cherry Almond Smoothie
- Vegan Cookie Dough Bites
- Chocolate Chip Banana Oat Cookies
- Healthy Vegan Chocolate Milkshake