An easy and soothing vegan bedtime Golden Turmeric Milk Latte recipe! It is warmly spiced with cinnamon, vanilla, and touch of natural sweetness. We enjoy it as a cozy nighttime drink that is also said to help promote more restful sleep! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This golden milk turmeric latte is a comforting drink with warm, tasty spices!
It's traditionally an Indian drink with roots in Ayurveda. (This particular recipe is simply my own version.)
I do seem to sleep more restfully when including it in my nighttime routine. It's completely dairy-free and caffeine-free, and I like to enjoy it a couple hours before bedtime.
The combination of earthy turmeric, cinnamon, and vanilla is wonderfully soothing.
Ingredients for Golden Milk
For this recipe you will simmer in a saucepan then carefully pour into a mug:
- Soy milk: Or simply use any other dairy-free milk of choice. You can substitute oat milk, unsweetened almond milk, or coconut milk. (Golden milk was originally made with cow's milk. But we opt for plant milk in this vegan version.)
- Ground turmeric powder: Be sure your ground spices are fresh (not expired) for best flavor. I have not tested this with fresh turmeric.
- Ground cinnamon: I use Ceylon cinnamon.
- Pure maple syrup: Or other sweetener to taste such as agave or stevia.
- Vanilla extract
- Pinch of black pepper: I include this because it has been shown to increase the bioavailability of curcumin (which is the main natural polyphenol in turmeric).
Other flavors! Ground ginger (or fresh ginger), cardamom, and ground nutmeg are also optional flavors to include.
Turmeric has long been used in Asian countries as a medicinal herb.
Curcumin: This is the main natural polyphenol and active component in turmeric. Various studies show it has multiple potential health benefits including supporting digestion and enhancing immune function.
Inflammation benefits: Turmeric contains antioxidants and reduces inflammation due to the anti-inflammatory properties. Curcumin also appears to be beneficial for several aspects of arthritis.
Dissolving the spices: I find ground turmeric doesn't dissolve very easily, so some may settle at the bottom of your pan and mug. I like to give my mug a gentle swirl before drinking to help it along.
Quality ingredients: Be sure to use good quality spices for this recipe for best flavor. (Also be aware turmeric can stain so pour and use cautiously.)
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan drink recipes.
Vegan Golden Milk (Turmeric Latte)
- 2 cups soy milk (or other dairy-free milk)
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon (I use Ceylon)
- 2-3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup (depending on desired sweetness)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger (or freshly grated), cardamom
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add all ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Heat for about 5-6 minutes until milk is hot, whisking occasionally.
- Take care not to boil. Only lightly simmer until the spices are mostly dissolved.*
- Carefully pour into a mug and enjoy.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this bedtime vegan Golden Turmeric Milk Latte recipe, also check out: