Grab some chips and dive in! This easy, colorful Healthy Texas Cowboy Caviar is great made ahead for picnics, potlucks, parties, or simply snacking at home. Plus it is vegan, gluten-free, and oil-free.
This fun and colorful (healthier!) Texas Caviar is a great make-ahead dish.
Traditional cowboy caviar is usually made with a decent amount of oil and sugar.
But I omit both in this version for a lighter, healthier option using a flavorful dressing of vinegar, fresh lemon, and garlic.
Ingredients for Texas Caviar
For recipe you will need 9 simple ingredients:
- Black eyed peas
- Black beans
- Sweet corn
- Bell pepper
- Red onion
- Red wine vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Dried oregano
We especially enjoy ours served with chips for dipping. It is a great choice when feeding crowds because it is accommodating to most dietary lifestyles. It is naturally:
- Refined sugar-free
I also enjoy keeping a batch handy in the fridge to pull out for quick snacks.
Healthy Texas Caviar
- 30 oz. canned black eyed peas (two 15 oz. cans)
- 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 cup sweet corn, cooked (either canned, cooked fresh, or thawed frozen corn)
- 1 bell pepper (I use 1/2 green, 1/2 red)
- 1/2 small red onion
- Optional additions: tomato, green onion, fresh parsley/cilantro, avocado, jalapeno, etc.
For the lemon-vinegar dressing:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar* (or less)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon, or more to taste)
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Make the dressing: in small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients.
- Rinse and drain beans. Dice bell pepper and finely dice onion.
- In a large bowl, add beans, bell pepper, onion, and corn. Add dressing and toss well to combine. Add more salt or lemon juice if desired.
- Can serve immediately or cover and refrigerate for at least two hours. (It tastes best after flavors blend.) Re-stir before serving as some dressing will settle on the bottom.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this healthy Healthy Texas Caviar, also check out: