This tasty Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats recipe is rich and satisfying with peanut butter, chocolate, and banana. Assemble it the night before and wake up to breakfast ready to eat! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
These overnight oats are a delicious and satisfying make-ahead breakfast! Plus they're easy to prepare with no cooking required.
The "chunky monkey" flavor typically includes banana, nuts, and chocolate. So here we use banana, creamy peanut butter, and cacao or cocoa powder. (So tasty!)
In addition to breakfast, we also enjoy it as a protein-rich snack. Each serving has about 16 grams protein!
Ingredients for Chunky Monkey Oats
For this simple recipe you will stir together in a small bowl or jar:
- Ripe mashed banana: The more brown spots, the sweeter it will be.
- Rolled oats: Old-fashioned rolled oats work best with this recipe. (Be sure to use gluten-free oats if needed.)
- Dairy-free milk: Any plant-based milk of choice will work great. I usually use unsweetened almond milk or homemade cashew milk.
- Peanut butter: I use natural and creamy. Or you can substitute your favorite nut butter or seed butter instead, though this will slightly alter the flavor.
- Chia seeds: These help to thicken the mixture, plus include fiber and omega-3.
- Cacao powder: This is used for the rich chocolate flavor. (Or you can also substitute cocoa powder.)
- Pure maple syrup: This works great as a natural sweetener.
Either enjoy your overnight oats as is, or garnish with toppings before serving such as:
- Fresh fruit (like strawberries or raspberries)
- Sliced banana
- Cacao nibs, vegan mini chocolate chips, or dark chocolate chunks
- Ground cinnamon
- Coconut shreds
- Extra peanut butter
Once your oat mixture is combined, it will need to chill in a small bowl or jar for at least 5 hours or more in the refrigerator. (Overnight is perfect!)
We find it can last a few days, but is best enjoyed within the first day or two.
Want more? Try this easy Brownie Baked Oatmeal as well!
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan breakfast recipes.
Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (gluten-free if desired)
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk
- 2 tsp. chia seeds
- 2 tsp. cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 1-2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup (I use about 1 1/2)
- 2 Tbsp. creamy, natural peanut butter (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/8 tsp. almond extract, ground cinnamon, etc.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mash banana.
- Add oats, milk, chia, cacao, and maple syrup. Stir well to combine.
- Add peanut butter. (I like to drop mine in small dollops so there are clumps of peanut butter.) Gently stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a mason jar or small bowl. Then lightly press down with a spoon to make sure oats are fully immersed in the liquid.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 5 hours or overnight.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying these chunky monkey overnight oats with peanut butter, banana, and chocolate, also check out:
- Chunky Monkey Protein Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Granola (Oil Free)
- Chocolate Chip Banana Oat Cookies
- Vegan Gluten Free Waffles
Follow The Garden Grazer on Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook for more updates and inspiration.
Crystal M Pfeifer
Could I use ground flax seeds instead of the chia seeds and get similar consistancy?
Hi Crystal! Sure, ground flax could thicken it up as well. It won't have as much of that "gel-like" consistency that chia delivers, and the flax will add more of a sweet/nutty flavor. But they should be interchangeable. Hope you enjoy if you give it a try!
My whole family loves this recipe!!
This came out super good! Excellent breakfast and quick & easy to prepare.
So great to hear - thank you!