This tasty Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats recipe is rich and satisfying with peanut butter, chocolate, and banana. Assemble it the night before and wake up to breakfast ready to eat! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
These overnight oats are a delicious and satisfying make-ahead breakfast. They are easy to prepare with no cooking required.
In addition to breakfast, we also enjoy it as a protein-rich snack. (Each serving has about 16 grams protein!)
The chunky monkey flavor typically includes banana, nuts, and chocolate. So here we use banana, peanut butter, and cacao.
For this simple recipe you will need:
- Ripe mashed banana: The more brown spots, the sweeter it will be.
- Rolled oats: Old-fashioned rolled oats work best with this recipe. (Use gluten-free oats if needed.)
- Dairy-free milk: Any plant-based milk of choice will work great. We usually use unsweetened almond milk or homemade cashew milk.
- Peanut butter: I use natural and creamy. Or simply substitute your favorite nut butter or seed butter.
- Chia seeds: These help to thicken the mixture, plus include fiber and omega-3.
- Cacao powder: This is used for the chocolate flavor. (Or you can also substitute cocoa powder.)
- Pure maple syrup: This works great as a natural sweetener.
Either enjoy your overnight oats as is, or add toppings before serving such as:
- Fresh fruit (like strawberries or raspberries)
- Sliced banana
- Cacao nibs, vegan mini chocolate chips, or dark chocolate chunks
- Ground cinnamon
- Coconut shreds
- Extra peanut butter
Once your oat mixture is combined, it will need to chill in a small bowl or jar for at least 5 hours or more in the refrigerator. (Overnight is perfect!)
We find it can last a few days, but is best enjoyed within the first day or two.
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan breakfast recipes.
Chunky Monkey Overnight Oats
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (gluten-free if desired)
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk
- 2 tsp. chia seeds
- 2 tsp. cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
- 1-2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup (I use about 1 1/2)
- 2 Tbsp. creamy, natural peanut butter (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract, 1/8 tsp. almond extract, ground cinnamon, etc.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mash banana.
- Add oats, milk, chia, cacao, and maple syrup. Stir well to combine.
- Add peanut butter. (I like to drop mine in small dollops so there are clumps of peanut butter.) Gently stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a mason jar or small bowl. Then lightly press down with a spoon to make sure oats are fully immersed in the liquid.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 5 hours or overnight.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying these chunky monkey overnight oats with peanut butter, banana, and chocolate, also check out:
- Chunky Monkey Protein Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Granola (Oil Free)
- Chocolate Chip Banana Oat Cookies
- Vegan Gluten Free Waffles