This easy (oil-free!) Peanut Butter Granola recipe is so delicious and "buttery"! It's naturally sweetened with no refined sugar, and makes a great protein-rich breakfast, snack, or healthy dessert. (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This vegan & oil-free Peanut Butter Granola is so quick and easy to prepare!
It's only 6 ingredients, naturally sweetened, and takes about 10 minutes of preparation time. Plus it includes lots of plant-based protein and fiber, so it's a great, satisfying breakfast or snack.
Most granola recipes are weighed down by quite a bit of oil. But I found the natural oils in peanut butter and almond flour work great instead!
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Granola
For this recipe you'll toss together and then bake in the oven:
- Old-fashioned rolled oats: Be sure to use gluten-free old-fashioned oats if needed. I purchase organic when possible.
- Peanut butter: I use creamy and natural. You could also try substituting the peanut butter with other nut butter or seed butter. (I haven't tested this however.)
- Almond flour: Most often I use Bob's Red Mill super-fine almond flour. Either blanched or un-blanched will work depending on what's available or what you have on hand. The almond flour gives the granola an extra-rich and buttery texture. (So good!)
- Pure maple syrup: This works great as a natural sweetener. Plus it adds delicious maple flavor to the granola.
- Vanilla extract: I also like to include a half teaspoon almond extract with the vanilla, but that's totally optional if you don't have it on hand.
- Ground cinnamon: I use Ceylon cinnamon.
- Salt: Just a dash of fine grain salt helps to enhance the flavors. But you can omit this if desired.
Sweetness: I pour in one-third cup maple syrup for the sweet flavor, and also because it helps create crunchy granola clusters. But feel free to decrease if desired for a less-sweet granola.
Add-ins: After baking in the oven, you can also stir in raisins, cranberries, dried cherries or other dried fruit, vegan chocolate chips, coconut flakes, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, or nuts like pecans, almonds, or walnuts.
Spices: Swap in your own favorite spices to this granola mixture. I use cinnamon, but you could also try pumpkin pie spice for a seasonal variation.
This homemade granola is so versatile in ways you can enjoy it! A few ideas include:
- For breakfast with almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
- Quick, energizing snack
- Stirred into your favorite vegan yogurt
- In kids' lunch boxes
- As a healthy dessert
- On top of dairy-free ice cream
Store leftovers in an airtight container or mason jar. You can either keep it at room temperature or in the fridge. I find it keeps well for about one week. (Any storage time past that I'm not sure.)
Texture note: The granola will be soft when it comes out of the oven. But then it gradually hardens as it cools. Be sure to let it cool completely before storing.
Peanut Butter Granola (Oil-Free!)
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (gluten-free if desired)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter (I use natural)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract (optional, or less)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
Optional add-ins after baking:
- Vegan chocolate chips, dried fruit, nuts, seeds, coconut flakes, etc.
- Preheat oven to 325°F (162°C). Place parchment paper (or Silpat) on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, add peanut butter and maple syrup. Heat for about 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When melted and combined, remove from heat. Add vanilla, almond extract (if using), cinnamon, and salt. Stir.
- Then add oats and almond flour. Stir well to thoroughly combine.
- Add oat mixture to lined baking sheet and slightly spread out. (It doesn’t have to be completely spread out – keeping some together will create clusters.)
- Bake for 10 minutes, stir, then bake for 10 more minutes. Remove and let cool.*
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan oil-free peanut butter granola recipe, also check out:
- Tofu Scramble with Spinach & Tomato
- Vegan Gluten-Free Waffles
- Vanilla Almond Overnight Oats
- Creamy Banana Matcha Smoothie
- Chunky Monkey Protein Smoothie