This Cilantro Lime Brown Rice recipe is a perfect side dish for a wide variety of Mexican-inspired meals. Plus it's simple to prepare! (Vegan, gluten-free, oil-free.)
This Cilantro Lime Rice is a wonderful side dish for your Mexican-inspired meals.
We enjoy it with many dishes, but especially these Black Bean Spinach Enchiladas! It's so delicious when it mixes with the homemade enchilada sauce.
Plus I love how this tasty recipe comes together quick and easy with just a few simple ingredients.
Ingredients for Cilantro Lime Rice
For this recipe you will combine:
- Long grain brown rice: This recipe works with long-grain brown rice or white rice. I used white rice when I initially posted it, but now use brown basmati rice. Both are tasty depending on your preference or what you have on hand. You will simply simmer the rice in a medium saucepan on the stove top. Then fluff with a fork and stir in the other additions and flavors.
- Fresh lime juice: You will need about one lime for this recipe, but use more if desired.
- Fresh lemon juice: I find the taste is best when using both lemon and lime juice together!
- Cilantro: Use as much or as little fresh cilantro as you would like.
- Salt: I use fine grain salt for this recipe. Be sure to use enough to help bring out the flavors.
Bolder flavor: If you like a bold citrus flavor, add even more lemon or lime juice. Or include a half teaspoon lime zest.
Garlic: Include a quarter teaspoon (or more) garlic powder, or one minced garlic clove.
Protein: Stir in cooked black beans or pinto beans for more protein and fiber before serving.
Vegetables: Add veggies to the mixture like sliced green onion, cooked sweet corn (or fire-roasted corn), tomatoes, avocado, or red bell pepper.
Make it spicy: Add jalapeno, chipotle in adobo sauce, cayenne pepper, chili powder, or red pepper flakes. Or simply top with hot sauce to taste before serving.
This rice is so versatile! Here are a few ideas of ways to enjoy it:
- In burritos and tacos
- As a base for burrito bowls (like this Vegan Burrito Bowl with Creamy Chipotle Sauce)
- In your favorite rice bowls
- Alongside enchiladas
- Or as a side dish for any other Mexican-style meals
Cilantro Lime Brown Rice
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice* (or white)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. salt (more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. lime zest, 2 green onions, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder or 1 clove minced garlic, sweet corn, black beans
- Rinse and cook rice according to package instructions.*
- Meanwhile, finely chop cilantro (large stems removed if desired).
- In a medium bowl, add cooked rice, chopped cilantro, lime juice, lemon juice, and salt. Stir to combine.
- Add more salt to taste if desired (the flavors taste best when sufficiently salted!) or any optional flavors/additions.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this Cilantro Lime Brown Rice recipe, also check out: