Chewy, nutty wild rice spinach salad combined with a rainbow of crisp vegetables and tossed with a light lemon-garlic dressing!
This earthy wild rice spinach salad is so colorful and nourishing.
Wild rice has such a chewy texture and nutty flavor which lends well to this simple salad.
This dish is great served either chilled or at room temperature, so it is a great choice for take-along lunches, BBQ's, potlucks, etc.
Ingredients for Wild Rice Salad
For this recipe you will need:
- Wild rice
- Fresh baby spinach
- Grape or cherry tomatoes: Or roma, etc.
- Orange bell pepper
- Sweet corn: Either cooked fresh, frozen, or canned.
- Green onion (scallion)
- Fresh lemon juice
- Olive oil: Simply omit for oil-free.
It is an adaptable recipe, so play around as you see fit.
Substitute the wild rice with black rice, brown rice, quinoa, or other grain.
Also for a protein boost, toss in some hemp hearts or beans.
Fresh herbs are a lovely addition because they add so much flavor.
For more inspiration, also browse all salad recipes.
Wild Rice Spinach Salad with Lemon-Garlic Dressing
- 1 cup wild rice (uncooked)
- 3 oz. fresh spinach
- 8 oz. grape/cherry tomatoes
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 1 cup sweet corn, cooked (thawed, if frozen)
- 3-4 green onions
- Optional: beans, fresh herbs
For the lemon-garlic dressing:
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon*)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (optional)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Rinse and cook rice according to package directions. (I use a ratio of 1 cup wild rice to 4 cups water.)
- Meanwhile, make the dressing: in a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients and set aside. (Add some dried or fresh herbs if you'd like.)
- Prepare the veggies: dice bell pepper, slice green onions, halve/quarter the tomatoes, and roughly chop spinach. Place all veggies in a large bowl.
- When rice is done cooking, drain excess water and immediately add to the large veggie bowl. Toss to combine. (The heat from the rice will slightly wilt the spinach.)
- Whisk the dressing again and pour over the salad. Toss to combine.
- Serve immediately, or chill covered in the fridge for an hour or more to further develop flavors.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this salad, also check out: