Nourishing Lentil Potato Soup with fresh kale and warm, flavorful spices! Easy to make and packed with satisfying plant-based nutrients. (Vegan, gluten free, oil free.)
This hearty soup is easy, healthy, and budget-friendly. We find it is great for lunches and leftovers throughout the week.
Plus it is only 10 simple ingredients. So it is a great option for meal prep or on weeknights when you are not sure what to make.
The lentil, potato, and kale combination is so satisfying, nourishing, and filled with plant-based nutrients.
Ingredients for Lentil Potato Soup
For this recipe you will need:
- Yellow onion
- Gold potato
- Green/brown lentils
- Diced tomatoes: Regular or fire-roasted.
- Vegetable broth
- Fresh kale: Either curly or lacinato kale will work.
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
Change up the spices or vegetables as you see fit however!
Lentil Kale & Potato Soup
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 carrots
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 medium gold potatoes (about 2 heaping cups cubed)
- 1 cup green/brown lentils, uncooked
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or fire-roasted)
- 5 cups vegetable broth (or 4 cups broth + 1 cup water)
- 1/2 bunch kale
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Dice onion and carrot.
- In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion and carrot for about 7 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method.)
- Meanwhile, mince garlic and dice potato.
- Add garlic, potatoes, cumin, and paprika to pot. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add 5 cups broth, tomatoes with juice, and lentils (rinsed and drained).
- Increase heat and bring to a light boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Meanwhile, roughly tear/chop kale into bite-size pieces, large stems removed.
- Stir in kale during last couple minutes of cooking. Salt/pepper to taste as desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this Lentil Kale Potato Soup, also feel free to check out:
- Lentil Orzo Spinach Soup
- Vegetable Barley Soup
- Vegan Taco Salad with Creamy Southwestern Dressing
- Fire Roasted Tomato and White Bean Soup with Kale