This thick and hearty vegan Lentil Orzo Soup with spinach is simple to make and so satisfying. Plus it is filled with nourishing plant-based nutrients. Perfect for lunch or dinner!
This Lentil Orzo Soup is a thick, comforting bowl of goodness that keeps us feeling warm and cozy.
It is easy to make and packed with plant-based nutrients. The lentil and orzo combination makes it extra hearty and satisfying.
It is also a great meal for easy leftovers throughout the week. Simply reheat and enjoy!
Ingredients for Lentil Orzo Soup
For this recipe you will simmer in a large pot:
- Yellow onion
- Garlic cloves: Or substitute garlic powder.
- Vegetable broth: Use low sodium if desired.
- Diced tomatoes: Either regular canned diced tomatoes or fire-roasted if desired.
- Green lentils or brown lentils: I have not tested this with red lentils or black lentils, but I'm guessing they could work too. Red lentils don't hold their shape as well after cooking, and will have more of a stew-like texture.
- Orzo pasta: If you can't find orzo pasta, simply substitute with another small pasta.
- Fresh baby spinach: Or you can substitute frozen spinach or fresh kale instead.
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
Gluten-free version: Traditional orzo pasta is not gluten-free, so omit it and use your favorite small gluten-free pasta instead. Or you could even stir in some quinoa or brown rice.
Make it spicy: Add jalapeno, medium diced green chiles, chipotle in adobo sauce, or simply top with hot sauce before serving.
Vegetables + herbs: Add celery, bell pepper, kale, zucchini, or your own favorite spices to change up the taste.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find they keep well for about 4-5 days.
Freezing note: I have not tried freezing this recipe, but soups with pasta generally don't freeze quite as well. The pasta tends to lose it's shape and texture when reheated. This Lentil Spinach Soup without the pasta might be a better option for a freezer meal.
Lentil Orzo Soup with Spinach
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes (I like fire-roasted*)
- 3/4 cup green/brown lentils
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Dice onion.
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, sauté onion for about 7-8 minutes. (I use 3 Tbsp. water/broth for no-oil sauté method, adding more as needed.)
- Meanwhile, dice carrot and mince garlic.
- When onion is translucent, add carrot, garlic, cumin, and smoked paprika. Stir and sauté 1 minute.
- Add broth, diced tomatoes, and lentils (rinsed and drained). Bring to a light boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Add orzo. Stir and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Add spinach (roughly chopped). Heat for a couple minutes. Salt/pepper to taste if desired.
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan lentil orzo spinach soup, also check out:
- Vegan Corn & Potato Chowder
- Healing Turmeric Noodle Soup
- Smoky Tomato Lentil Soup
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili