This easy vegan White Bean Salad recipe combines sweet tomatoes, fresh herbs, and a vinegar dressing. It's simple to make and great for meal prepping, picnics, potlucks, lunches, and more. (Gluten-free & oil-free.)
This white bean salad is full of fresh, satisfying flavors.
It combines hearty beans, juicy tomatoes, flavorful herbs, and a simple vinegar-Dijon dressing.
Plus it is easy to prepare and ready in 10 minutes.
It is light yet energizing, and a good source of fiber and plant-based protein.
Ingredients for White Bean Salad
For this recipe you will need:
- White beans: Use cannellini beans (also called white kidney beans), great northern beans, or navy beans. I use canned beans for convenience, but you can also use 1.5 cups freshly cooked beans.
- Grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes: These are sweet and flavorful varieties, but roma tomatoes or other garden tomatoes work too.
- Fresh herbs: Parsley, basil, cilantro, dill, chives, etc. I enjoy a combination of fresh parsley + dill (and chives if I have them).
- Apple cider vinegar: Or try your own favorite vinegar.
- Dijon mustard
- Pure maple syrup: Or other sweetener.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic cloves: An optional but flavorful addition if you're a garlic lover.
Variations and Substitutions
A few ideas for customizing this recipe:
- Greens: Add chopped kale, spinach, arugula, or cucumber for crunch.
- Lemon: Instead of apple cider vinegar, substitute lemon juice and zest.
- Onion: Add green onion or finely diced red onion.
- Bold + tangy: Add capers or olives for a briny pop of flavor.
- Tomato: Use sun-dried tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes for a richer flavor.
- Cheese: Toss with crumbled vegan feta cheese right before serving.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find it keeps for about 3-4 days.
You can add tomatoes immediately before serving for better freshness.
How to Serve
Serve this bean salad chilled or at room temperature. A few suggestions for how to enjoy:
- As a light, energizing lunch or main dish.
- Over fresh arugula or salad greens.
- As a side dish for picnics, potlucks, or parties.
- A refreshing snack right out the fridge.
- On top of toasted sourdough bread.
- For meal prepping and grab & go.
For more inspiration, browse all bean recipes.
White Bean Salad
- 15 oz. can white beans (cannellini, great northern, or navy)
- 5 oz. grape/cherry tomatoes (about ¾ cup chopped)
- 2-3 Tbsp. chopped fresh herbs (I like parsley, dill, and chives)
For the vinegar-Dijon dressing:
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. pure maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Optional: 1 clove minced garlic
- Rinse and drain white beans. Halve/quarter tomatoes and chop fresh herbs. Add to a medium bowl.
- Make the dressing: add all dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine. (Adjust flavors as desired.)
- Pour dressing over bean mixture and toss well.
- Serve immediately at room temperature or let it chill covered in the fridge for a couple hours to marinate. (Stir before serving as some dressing will settle at the bottom.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
If you are enjoying this vegan white bean tomato & herb salad recipe, also check out:
- Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- Mediterranean Three Bean Salad
- Cucumber Salad
- Three Bean Salad with Vinegar Dressing