This easy vegan White Bean Salad recipe combines sweet tomatoes, fresh herbs, and a vinegar dressing. It's simple to make and great for meal prepping, picnics, potlucks, lunches, and more. (Gluten-free, oil-free.)
This white bean salad is full of fresh, satisfying flavors, and it's a breeze to make.
We combine hearty beans, juicy tomatoes, and flavorful herbs. Then toss it with a simple vinegar-Dijon dressing.
Simple but so tasty. Plus it's ready in just 10 minutes!
We find it's light yet energizing, and also a good source of plant-based protein and fiber.
Ingredients for White Bean Salad
For this recipe you will toss together in a medium bowl:
- White beans: Use cannellini beans (also called white kidney beans), great northern beans, or navy beans. I use canned beans (rinsed and drained) for convenience, but you can also use 1.5 cups freshly cooked beans.
- Grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes: I use these because they are sweet and flavorful, but roma tomatoes or other garden tomatoes work too.
- Fresh herbs: You will need at least 2-3 tablespoons for this recipe. Choose your favorites such as fresh basil, parsley, cilantro, dill, chives, etc. (I enjoy a combination of fresh parsley, dill, and chives.)
- Apple cider vinegar: Or try your own favorite like white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, or balsamic vinegar for different flavor profiles.
- Dijon mustard
- Pure maple syrup: This is to help balance the flavors in the dressing. But feel free to whisk in another liquid sweetener of choice such as agave.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic cloves: This is an optional but flavorful addition if you're a garlic lover. Roasted garlic could be great too!
This is a fun recipe to play around with based on your own favorite flavors or whatever is in season. A few ideas for customizing include:
Greens: Add nourishing chopped kale, spinach, arugula, or even cucumber for crunch.
Lemon: Substitute fresh lemon juice and lemon zest for the apple cider vinegar.
Onion: Add a zesty bite with green onion or finely diced red onion.
Bold + tangy: Include capers or Kalamata olives for a briny pop of flavor.
Other tomatoes: Use sun-dried tomatoes or roasted tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes for a richer flavor.
Dairy-free cheese: Toss the salad with crumbled vegan feta cheese right before serving.
Olive oil: I keep this salad oil-free, but you can absolutely add a drizzle of good quality olive oil to the dressing if you'd like.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. We find it keeps for about 3-4 days.
Tip: Feel free to add the tomatoes immediately before serving for better freshness.
Enjoy this dish in a wide variety of ways. A few ideas include:
- As a light, energizing lunch or main dish
- Over salad greens or fresh arugula
- As a side dish for BBQs, picnics, potlucks, or parties
- A protein-rich snack
- On top of toasted sourdough bread
- For meal prepping
It's versatile! Serve this bean salad either chilled or at room temperature.
For more inspiration, also browse all vegan bean recipes or tomato recipes.
White Bean Tomato Salad
- 15 oz. can white beans (cannellini, great northern, or navy)
- 5 oz. grape/cherry tomatoes (about ¾ cup chopped)
- 2-3 Tbsp. chopped fresh herbs (I like parsley, dill, and chives)
For the vinegar-Dijon dressing:
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. pure maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Optional: 1 clove minced garlic
- Rinse and drain white beans. Halve/quarter tomatoes and chop fresh herbs. Add to a medium bowl.
- Make the dressing: add all dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine. (Adjust flavors as desired.)
- Pour dressing over bean mixture and toss well.
- Serve immediately at room temperature or let it chill covered in the fridge for a couple hours to marinate. (Stir before serving as some dressing will settle at the bottom.)
Nutrition Per Serving (Estimate)
Sodium: This is omitted as I cannot provide an accurate number. I encourage you to calculate your own to provide a much more precise reading based on the exact ingredients, brands, and amounts you're using.
If you are enjoying this vegan white bean tomato and herb salad recipe, also check out:
- Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- Mediterranean Three Bean Salad
- Cucumber Salad
- Three Bean Salad with Vinegar Dressing
Follow The Garden Grazer on Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook for more updates and inspiration.
I just discovered the GG . Thank you for these amazing recipes!
Hello and welcome, Peri! Thanks for being here and checking out the recipes! 🙂
We all loved this for a summer side dish. Thanks for the simple plant-based recipes!
Wonderful to hear, Jill!
Delicious and easy! I added chopped arugula and a dash of cayenne to kick it up.
Great additions - thanks for sharing!